Thursday, February 5, 2009

Oh snap! Did I just say that out loud?

Proverbs 12:10-21 (NRSV)
The tongue of the wise brings healing

James 3:2 says that if a person can bridle their tongue, s/he can be perfect in all other ways! Oh my! Help me Jesus, for I am so far from being perfect.

I must confess that I sometimes speak without thinking. I say angry and rash words without considering the consequences. I am sometimes uncharitable, imaging the worst about my neighbors, and failing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I gossip—yes I do! I admit it; I gossip sometimes spreading truth and fiction without even realizing it. Oh the trouble of my tongue!

But, my tongue has also been used by God to encourage my husband, to celebrate my children, to teach my students, to counsel the hurting, to evangelize the nations, and to preach GOOD NEWS from the pulpit to the street corner.

Our tongues have so much potential for good; if only we could harness them solely for the work of the kingdom. But, alas, we are human and we sin. Forgive us today, Jesus.

But, here’s the GOOD NEWS! Just as soon as we asked for forgiveness; God forgave. And just as soon as we confess our sincere desire to allow God to use our tongues for God’s glory, God got to work!

Today’s scripture says, “The tongue of the wise brings healing.” You can be used as a healer today. God can open your eyes to all of the people around you who are hurting, broken, bruised, dis-eased, and depressed. God wants to partner with you as you work together with God to use your tongue--yay your words--to heal others.

Now listen, don’t worry if you don’t know what to say. God will give you the right words as you remain prayerful throughout your day. But, let me remind you of something. The GOOD NEWS is not complex; it is simple. We make sharing it too hard. All we need to tell someone is that God loves them more than they can ever imagine and God proved it on Calvary’s cross. For most people that simple GOOD NEWS is more than they can imagine. When they really come to believe that God loves them—just them—it sets a song a singing in their hearts!

Who do you need to share the GOOD NEWS with today?

All wise God, grant me wisdom today, so that I can see all of the hurting and depressed people around me who need to hear GOOD NEWS. Please use my tongue to heal and help others on this day. In Jesus Name, Amen.

*The entire scripture reading for today can be found by clicking the ELCA Daily Bible Reading Tab to the right.

*from Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/

*Do you have one friend in need of GOOD NEWS? To share today's devotional click "Share With Friends" button to the right! Thanks for reading and please come again.

*Pastor Yolanda extends a special welcome to our readers from Canada, Russia, China, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Singapore, Iraq, Finland, United Arab Emerits, New Zealand, Kenya, Ghana, Madagascar, Australia, France, Qatar, South Africa, Venezuela, Slovenia, Spain and Tasmania. We are praying with you here in the United States of America!

*Check out the map to the right! Do you know anyone in South America, Australia, or Africa that you can share GOOD NEWS with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment