Saturday, March 7, 2009

NOW BEHOLD THE LAMB...

SCRIPTURE

Mark 8:27-30 (NRSV)
Peter's confession

Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" And they answered him, "John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets." He asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Messiah." And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.

DEVOTION

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture. I love the conversation between friends that is going on between Jesus and his disciples. I can just imagine them walking the dusty roads between the villages, shooting the breeze and talking about life. As they were walking, Jesus says in a kinda off hand way, “What’s the word on the street about me?” (My Holy Ghost inspired imagination can just hear Jesus giggling in his heart!)

Well, one disciple says, “I’ve heard that you are the reincarnation of John the Baptist.” Another disciple says, “Nah, man! I’ve heard that he’s Elijah!” Someone else chimes in, “Come on! I’ve heard that he’s one of the prophets of old!” At this point, everyone must have been adding their two cents and it must have been getting mighty animated on that road as each of Jesus’ followers argued their point.

Finally, I can imagine that Jesus came to an abrupt stop, looked into the eyes of the people he had been sharing his life with, and asked a simple question, “But who do YOU say I am?” Peter, ever the willing spokesman states emphatically, “You are the Messiah!” In the Gospel of Matthew, the Apostle Peter’s remarks are recorded as, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God!”

See this amazing encounter teaches us something very important about our relationship with Jesus. It really doesn’t matter who other people say Jesus is. Some may say he was just a great prophet. Others may say that he was a charlatan and a hoax. Some may say that he’s the “white man’s God.” Others may say he was just a man…

See folks are always going to be saying something about Jesus. But, it really doesn’t matter what other people say; they are entitled to their opinions. What matters, is what we say. What matters is how we articulate our personal relationship with GOD, through JESUS Christ.

Can’t you just hear Jesus asking YOU, “Who do YOU say that I am?” As your heart reflects upon that question during the Lenten Season, do you see Jesus prophesying in the temple, casting out the demons, healing the sick and dis-eased, raising the dead, going to the cross, making atonement for our sins, hanging his head and dying, then rising again on the third day just for you and for me?!

When anyone asks us, “Who do you say that Jesus is?,” our hearts ought to cry out with a loud voice, “He is the Christ! He is the Messiah! He is the Son of the Living God! He is my Savior! He is my Lord! He is my King! He is my very best friend!”

We ought not to be afraid to answer this question! All of us have a testimony about how our relationship with Jesus has made a difference in our lives. All of us can tell somebody that God loves, God gave, and God saves! All of us can bring a friend to the foot of the cross and whisper, “Now, behold the Lamb…”

Can you hear Jesus asking, “Who do you say that I am?” How will you answer today?

Oh! How I love you, Jesus! I say that you are my Messiah, savior, redeemer, and friend! Help me to boldly share my love for you with others. You have changed and redeemed my life—how can I fail to share that GOOD NEWS with others? I go out today determined to make you famous everywhere I go! In Your Holy Name, Amen.


ANNOUNCEMENTS

Good News has now added a prayer ministry. If you have a prayer request or praise report, or would like to pray for others, please click the link found under my profile picture. Thank you!

The Good News Living Book Club will be reading Hinds Feet On High Places by Hannah Hurnard during March. You can purchase the book by clicking the link to the right. Please mark your calendars for our very first book club meeting to be held on Saturday, March 28, 2009, at 9:00am.

“The Lamb of God” can be purchased by clicking the link to the right. In addition, most of the songs shared in this blog can be purchased through AMAZON.COM by clicking the GOOD NEWS LIVING store to the right.

You are invited to leave comments or questions regarding today’s devotional. These comments are public.

EACH ONE--REACH ONE! To share GOOD NEWS with a friend please click the "Share With Friends" button to the right! Thanks for reading and please come again.

Pastor Yolanda extends a very special welcome to our friends reading outside of the United States of America! We are honored that you are sharing with us today.

from Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment