Saturday, April 25, 2009

AT THE VERY LEAST...

Luke 22:24-30 (NRSV)

Eating and drinking at Christ's table

A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded as the greatest. But he said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you; rather the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

"You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

MEDITATION—Today is Saturday Psalmody! Today, the meditation is offered as a psalm from my heart. If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)


AT THE VERY LEAST...


Daddy says

when I grow up

I need to be

SOMEBODY.


So I make it my life’s work to be the best


I need to be stronger

Smarter

Brighter

Bigger

Better

Badder

Richer…

Richer…

Richer…

And everybody better know my name


I walk into the room

And I am surprised

If they do not know who I am…


Do they not know me?

HOW could they not know me?


I’ve spend my whole life making sure that

EVERYONE

Knows

Who

I

Am…


But then I hear a still quiet voice


It is hushed

It is whispering

It is insistent


WHAT DO YOU WANT?!


I’m busy being the best

The brightest

The smartest

The richest

The most famous…


Serve me…


Serve me?!

Serve me?!


Have you lost your mind?

I am servant to none!

I am king!

Queen!

Ruler!

Bow to me!


I bow to none, yet I serve all


What

kind

of mixed up

Crazy

Wanna-be

King

Bows to none, but serves all?


Follow me &

I will show you


I will give your life TRUE MEANING.

Follow me…


No

thank you

very much


I do not wish to serve others

I already know how that story ends


On my knees

Wrapped in a towel

Washing stinky feet

Touching the untouchable

Cast aside

Betrayed

Nailed to an old wooden cross

FORSAKEN.

FORGOTTEN.

ALONE.


Yes.

But, the least shall be greatest and

The leader, the servant of all…


How can this be?

This is not what I was taught


I don’t know how to serve

To be humble

To esteem others

higher than myself.


I don’t know how to

hide

in the background

To take credit

for NO-thing…


This flies in the face of everything

EVERYTHING

EVERYTHING

THAT I WAS SO CAREFULLY TAUGHT.


And Yet…


Your way means peace

Your way means rest

You way means that I am always good enough


Never striving

Always loved


Always

Always

Unconditionally

Loved


LOVED

For who I am &

Not what I do.


LOVED

Just for me…

The real me…

Not the false me

Created to please others

But, not pleasing to myself.


LOVED

The little one

Hidden away

Wanting Daddy’s love

But,

NEVER

EVER

GOOD

ENOUGH


You are good enough

Follow me

Serve me

Serve others

Be faith-FULL


One day

All your dreams

Will

Come true


DO YOU PROMISE?


I Promise


Only


Serve


ME.



ANNOUNCEMENTS


If you have additional questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come to Jesus"
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html

You are invited to follow Pastor Yolanda on Twitter www.twitter.com/PastorYolanda

Good News has now added a Prayer Ministry. http://www.kindlejoy.com/groups/goodnews

You are invited to leave comments or questions regarding today’s devotional. These comments are public.

EACH ONE--REACH ONE! To share GOOD NEWS with a friend please click the "Share With Friends" button to the right! Thanks for reading and please come again.

Pastor Yolanda extends a very special welcome to all of our friends reading outside of the United States of America! We are honored that you are sharing with us today.

From Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. I am curious - is the poem your own? I really liked it either way. It made me really pause to consider. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear K-Star:

    Yes! The poem is mine. I always offer a poem on Saturday. :-)

    If you would like to see others, just check out the Psalmody Saturday blogs.

    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

    God bless you!
    Pastor Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the poems are very good. They always leave a special message on your mind to ponder. Pastor Yolanda you have been blessed with so many talents.
    I thank God for you.

    ReplyDelete