Wednesday, April 1, 2009

LOVE LETTERS..

SCRIPTURE

Psalm 119:9-16 (NRSV)
I treasure your promise in my heart

How can young people keep their way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
do not let me stray from your commandments.
I treasure your word in my heart,
so that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes.
With my lips I declare
all the ordinances of your mouth.
I delight in the way of your decrees
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts,
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

DEVOTION

Just imagine that you are deeply in love. Every single morning without fail your beloved leaves a love note on the night stand for you to discover when you wake up. How would you feel? I imagine that I would feel giddy every morning when my eyes opened. I would reach for the letter, and tear it open with bated breath! I would look forward to reading the words and I would think about them all day long. If it was a particularly good letter, I might even share the “juicy parts” with my best friends! (laughing…)

It is hard to imagine being loved this much, but we truly are! God loves us this much and has provided a daily “love letter” on our nightstand. It is the HOLY BIBLE.

Every day, God speaks to us through The Word. God says things like, “I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). Fear not, for I have redeemed you (Isaiah 43:1). No weapon formed against you will prosper (Isaiah 57:4) All things work together for God for those who love me…(Romans 8:28) I give eternal life, you shall never perish, no one can snatch you from my hand (John 10:28) For I have so loved the world that I gave my son (John 3:16).

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise! The Bible has been provided to us as a way of climbing into the lap of God and laying our heads upon God’s heart.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we would begin to say, “I GET to read the Bible today,” instead of, “I HAVE to read it”?

The psalmist from today’s reading has the right attitude! The writer suggests that we should, “seek God with our whole hearts, treasuring, learning, declaring, delighting in and meditating upon God’s Word.

As we read and believe God’s GOOD NEWS Word to us, we will be filled up with the Holy Spirit and empowered and emboldened to share God’s love with others.

Isn’t it grand that God has given us The Holy Bible?! The whole purpose of the GOOD NEWS Ministry is to make the Bible fun to read and easy to share! Don’t buy the hype! Anyone—everyone—even you(yes you) can read and understand the Bible. You just need to find a Bible translation that makes sense to you!

Let me suggest that you go to your nearest bookstore today and tell the clerk, “I need to buy a Bible that I can understand.” Then ask him or her to take you to where the Bibles are shelved and help you discover a translation that you can get excited to read!

If you can’t find an “adult” Bible that works for you, start with a “children’s” Bible and graduate up when you are ready! I still read my seven-year old’s Bible from time to time and it warms my heart!

The Bible is chock full of goodies just waiting for you to discover! God’s love letter is waiting…Will you read it?

Holy One, thank you for your GOOD NEWS message to me, found in The Holy Bible. I am excited to begin reading your love letter to me. Thanks for loving me so much that you have given me your words. I will read your words and share them with others! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.




ANNOUNCEMENTS

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come To Jesus" found at
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html

We are celebrating with all of the people who have recently put all their hope in Jesus! Happy Re-birthday!

You are invited to follow Pastor Yolanda on Twitter www.twitter.com/PastorYolanda

Good News has now added a Prayer Ministry. http://www.kindlejoy.com/groups/goodnews

You are invited to leave comments or questions regarding today’s devotional. These comments are public.

EACH ONE--REACH ONE! To share GOOD NEWS with a friend please click the "Share With Friends" button to the right! Thanks for reading and please come again.

Pastor Yolanda extends a very special welcome to all of our friends reading outside of the United States of America! We are honored that you are sharing with us today.

From Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment