Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What a Mighty God We Serve!

SCRIPTURE

Wednesday in Holy Week
Psalm 70 (NRSV)

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me.
O Lord, make haste to help me!
Let those be put to shame and confusion
who seek my life.
Let those be turned back and brought to dishonor
who desire to hurt me.
Let those who say, "Aha, Aha!"
turn back because of their shame.

Let all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you.
Let those who love your salvation
say evermore, "God is great!"
But I am poor and needy;
hasten to me, O God!
You are my help and my deliverer;
O Lord, do not delay!

DEVOTION

Today is the last Wednesday in Lent 2009. Many of us will gather in churches this evening and observe a time of worship as we turn our hearts toward the upcoming Holy Week activities: Maundy Thursday, “Good” Friday, Holy Saturday, and Resurrection (Easter) Morning!

Today is also the first day of Passover for our Jewish friends. Passover and The Feast of the Unleavened Bread last seven days and commemorates God’s miraculous deliverance of the Hebrew people from slavery in Egypt.

Right now and always, I am thanking God that God is mighty to save! God saved the Israelites from bondage in Egypt and God saves us from the bondage of sin, death and the grave.

I love today’s GOOD NEWS message which states, “Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you. Let those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!”

Jesus paid an awesome price so that we would become heirs to the Kingdom of God. Jesus was betrayed by friend and foe, apprehended as a common criminal, abused mightily with fist and whip, bled, suffered, and died on an old rugged cross--all in the most heinous of manners--so that we might boldly declare, “God is great,” in response to our salvation.

Indeed, “God is great,” and it is our greatest joy to proclaim this GOOD NEWS to everyone we meet.

Let me ask you my friends: Who else loves us the way that God does? Who else has given us such an extravagant gift? Who else has saved us from so great a peril?

There is none one, my friends! There is absolutely no one who has been better to us than God. There has never been a greater love revealed, than that shown on the cross. There will never be a greater hope for the future, than the hope that is ours because of Christ’s resurrection.

The Psalmist prayed, “Let those be put to shame and confusion who seek my life. Let those be turned back and brought to dishonor who desire to hurt me. Let those who say, "Aha, Aha!" turn back because of their shame.”

Indeed, all of this occurred early one Sunday morning before the break of day when Jesus, GOT UP FROM THE GRAVE, just as he promised! I love the words of the angel who broke this news to the women at the tomb. The angel said, “Do not be afraid! I know that you seek Jesus of Nazareth. He is not here; he is risen, just as he said (Matthew 28:5-6)!”

What a mighty God we serve!

Will you declare, "God is great!" today?

Holy God, you are great, and greatly to be praised! I want my whole life to bear witness to the truth that you save! Please help me to share your love and light with everyone I meet. I am so grateful to you and it is out of this heart of gratitude that I share your love with others. In Jesus' Name, Amen.



ANNOUNCEMENTS

If you have additional questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come to Jesus" found at
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html

We are celebrating with the 10 people who have recently put all their hope in Jesus! Happy Re-birthday!

You are invited to follow Pastor Yolanda on Twitter www.twitter.com/PastorYolanda

Good News has now added a Prayer Ministry. http://www.kindlejoy.com/groups/goodnews

You are invited to leave comments or questions regarding today’s devotional. These comments are public.

EACH ONE--REACH ONE! To share GOOD NEWS with a friend please click the "Share With Friends" button to the right! Thanks for reading and please come again.

Pastor Yolanda extends a very special welcome to all of our friends reading outside of the United States of America! We are honored that you are sharing with us today.

From Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment