Sunday, May 3, 2009

THE GOOD SHEPHERD

SCRIPTURE

Fourth Sunday of Easter
John 10:11-18 (NRSV)

Christ the shepherd

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away - and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father."

DEVOTION

Today we are reminded that Jesus is the Good Shepherd. In Jesus’ day, that would have immediately meant something to his hearers. They would have known that the job of the shepherd is to keep a large herd of sheep together, protecting them from wolves, ensuring that they received adequate food, water, and rest and rescuing individual sheep that fell into dangerous circumstances.

Nowadays, many of us have never even seen a shepherd. We don’t know brave, strong, resourceful, intelligent, compassionate, and caring a shepherd needs to be. We don’t appreciate that shepherds are often called upon to risk their lives to protect the defenseless sheep from predators who wish to crush them in their jaws. We don’t realize how precious the relationship was between a shepherd and his sheep.

Scripture teaches us that the sheep knew the voice of their shepherd and would follow none other. A good shepherd earned the trust of his sheep. The sheep learned as a result of positive experiences that they could trust the shepherd to choose a safe path, to protect them from danger, and to provide for their every need.

It is a shame that we don’t have as deep an understanding of the parable that Jesus shares with us on today. But, if you use your Holy Ghost imagination, surely you can see Jesus as the Good Shepherd and humanity as his sheep.

It is obvious that we are not actually sheep (smile).

But, a parable is an earthly story with a heavenly meaning! Today’s earthly story is about a Good Shepherd willing to do anything to protect his sheep. The heavenly meaning is that Jesus leads and guides us along the paths of life, providing everything that we need, protecting us from seen and unseen danger, and rescuing us when we go astray and/or become loss.

Now, I bet I don’t have to tell you that it pays to know and follow the voice of God! Have you ever heard God whispering directions within your Spirit, but chosen to go another way? Have you ever been sure about what God wants you to do, but allowed someone else to talk you into doing something else?

I am bold enough to tell on myself my friends and to confess to you that I have done both of the above from time to time. Let me tell you the truth, every time I did, it was a disaster of epic proportions!

When we hear the voice of God, but choose not to heed it, we always end up down the wrong path, lost and afraid, and vulnerable to attack. Every time we listen to a “hired hand” who really cares nothing about us and/or lacks the wisdom and understanding to rightly guide us, we end up in grave and disastrous circumstances and in desperate need of rescue!

It is a shame how many times God has had to rescue me because of my hard head! But, Jesus is the Good Shepherd, willing to lay down his life, for the sheep!

Let me tell you something. Our sin creates rocky paths, steep inclines, and deep pits in the road of life. Our sin separates us from the protection of The Shepherd, making us easy pickings for the “wolves” that prey on those individuals who leave the protection of the herd. Our sin causes us to lose our direction, causing us to wander into the desert wastelands of life where there is no spiritual food or living water!

Oh my! What terrible bad news! But, do not despair. There is yet GOOD NEWS today!

We have a Good Shepherd, who willing laid down His life for His sheep. Jesus knows that our sin leads us astray and into great spiritual danger that is why God loves, gave, and saves!

God loves us so much--and so unconditionally—that God gave Jesus (The Good Shepherd) to die on the cross, in order to save us from our sin and to gift us with eternal life.

Once we accept this free gift of salvation, making the conscientious choice to put all our hope in Jesus, we become committed to following the voice of God, no matter where it leads us! As we practice walking with Jesus by faith, we will live into the blessed assurance that we do, indeed, have the best shepherd of all!

Now, let me tell you the truth. Becoming a Christian will not guarantee that your path will always be clear and easy, nor that you will never fall victim to spiritual attack. However, it does guarantee, that The Good Shepherd will be with you and that he is big, bad, strong, smart, brave, and powerful enough to clear any path, remove any obstacle, and/or defeat any foe!

In today’s vernacular we would say that Jesus is Our Superhero! Now, that means something to 21st Century Christians!

See, a superhero can be called upon in the time of trouble! A superhero is strong, brave, and invincible! A superhero will put his life on the line in order to save people who are in trouble! And a superhero is never defeated; there is always a happy ending when a superhero flies to the rescue!

Jesus is our superhero!

We were in deep trouble, enslaved to sin and darkness. But, Jesus rushed to our rescue, putting his body on the line, and allowing himself to be crucified on an old rugged cross. It looked like all hope was lost, but early one Sunday morning, before the break of day; our superhero emerged from the grave, triumphant over sin, death, and the grave. He battled the forces of death and darkness and obliterated them once and for all time! Now, we are no longer slaves to sin. We no longer have to stumble around in the darkness. We have been made free by the blood of Jesus and we have been illuminated by the Light of the World!

I don’t know about you, but I feel a “Hallelujah Shout” coming on! God has been good to me! Jesus is THE GOOD SHEPHERD, who laid down his life for the sheep.

Now, ain’ta that GOOD NEWS?!

Holy God, thank you for Jesus. Indeed, He is the Good Shepherd. Please help me to trust and obey my shepherd believing by faith that He will keep me safe, provide for my every need, and defeat my every foe. I love you and I want to hear and heed your voice. Lead me and guide me as you help me to introduce The Good Shepherd to others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



ANNOUNCEMENTS

Congratulations to the people who have recently put all of their faith in Jesus! We are so excited about your new-found faith in Jesus! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

If you would like to put all of your hope in Jesus today, please visit my blog entitled, “Putting All Your Hope In Jesus” located at
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/04/putting-all-your-hope-in-jesus.html

If you have additional questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come to Jesus"
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html

You are invited to follow Pastor Yolanda on Twitter www.twitter.com/PastorYolanda

Good News has now added a Prayer Ministry. http://www.kindlejoy.com/groups/goodnews

You are invited to leave comments or questions regarding today’s devotional. These comments are public.

EACH ONE--REACH ONE! To share GOOD NEWS with a friend please click the "Share With Friends" button to the right!

Thanks for reading and please come again. Pastor Yolanda extends a very special welcome to all of our friends reading outside of the United States of America! We are honored that you are sharing with us today.

From Pastor Yolanda's blog http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment