Sunday, September 13, 2009

Declare, Determine, Decide in Jesus' Name!



If you would like to HEAR Pastor Yolanda preaching this good news message, please click the link above.



SCRIPTURE


Time After Pentecost - Lectionary 24

Mark 8:27-38 (NRSV)

Peter's confession of faith

Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?" And they answered him, "John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets." He asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Messiah." And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.

Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things."

He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."


SERMON


I have to confess that I am happy-glad to be preaching from this passage of scripture. It has long been one of my favorite passages in the Bible and I am absolutely thrilled that we get to share it together today.

As I was reading it this passage this week, I came to the awareness that this scripture is fundamentally about the appropriate attitude of a Christian. Upon looking up the word “attitude” I found a definition that I really like. The dictionary said, “Attitude is a state of mind or feeling.”

In other words, today’s Bible passage addresses the way that a Christian ought to think and feel about Jesus. As such, I will make the assertion that all good Christians are required to make a declaration about Jesus, a determination about Jesus, and a decision about Jesus!

Now, let me say that one more time to make sure that we are all on the same page. Today, I will be inviting all of us to make a declaration, determination, and decision about Jesus Christ!

So, let’s examine our declaration first. On the occasion of today’s pericope Jesus is walking with his disciples and shooting the breeze. As they walk and talk Jesus asks them a very simple question, “WHO do people say that I am?”

Now, this isn’t such a crazy question, ya’ll. I’m sure many of us in here have asked friends or family, “Hey man, what’s the word on the street about me? What does Brother So-and-So really think about me? Have I caught the attention of Sister Sally?”

As human beings we ask these kinds of questions because we want to know what’s being said about us by our friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, but especially our enemies.

It seems that Jesus was no different. He wanted to hear the gossip. He wanted to laugh a while with his friends. He wanted to know, “Habari Gani, what’s the news?”

So, his disciples start floating the gossip that they’ve heard in the street. One of them says, “I’ve heard that you’re John the Baptist come back to life!” Another one says, “I’ve heard that you’re the prophet Elijah returned from the grave!” Still another one says, “I’ve heard you called some of the other prophets as well!”

Well, after laughing a bit, I can imagine Jesus stopping, looking them in the eye and saying with boldness, “OK, those are all fine theories, but who do you say that I am?”

Now, this was a very loaded question, “Was it not?” Jesus was asking them to make a declaration about the very essence of his nature.

See, we all know that names have power. And in essence Jesus was asking them, “What do you call me?”

After all, his disciples had been walking and talking with Jesus. They had been privy to his most secret lessons and miracles. They had been blessed by his wise counsel and generous provision. If anyone should have known who Jesus was, it was his disciples. And so he asked them, “Who do you say that I am?”

Well, in this moment, you’ve got to love Peter’s Holy Ghost boldness! Because he stands up tall, pulls in a deep breath, and says what no one else dared to hope, believe, or imagine. Peter stated, “You are the MESSIAH!” In other translations of the Bible I’ve read, “You are the CHRIST, the Son of the Living God!”

Wow! What a declaration! What an attitude! What a state of mind! What a feeling!

In declaring Jesus to be the messiah, Peter was saying that Jesus was much more than an ordinary prophet; rather he was the promised and expected deliverer of the Jewish people.

Incredible! For Peter to declare Jesus the Messiah, in his time, was to declare him THE ONE whom Israel had been waiting for. The one who would lead a political uprising to restore the glory of their nation. The one who would beat back the powers of Rome and restore their independence. The one they had been hoping for, praying for, believing for…for so very long!

Well, when Jesus heard Peter’s declaration, he simply said something that I imagine went something like this, “Ah…let’s just keep that to ourselves…I’d appreciate your help to keep that on the down low my friends…”

And then they kept walking, but Jesus didn’t stop talking. See, when someone makes a declaration about Jesus recognizing Him to be Messiah, Savior, and Lord, then Jesus takes that person into his bosom and shares his very heart with them.

Jesus did this thousands of years ago and Jesus is still doing it today. See, when we put all of our hope in Jesus by declaring, “You are my Messiah, The Christ, The Son of the Living God!,” then the Spirit of God begins to speak to our hearts.

Well in this case, Jesus started speaking to his disciples about the things that were going to come to pass in his life. He shared very openly, admitting to them that he would undergo great suffering, be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and the scribes. He would be killed, and ultimately after three days he would rise again from the dead.

Well, this sounded like absolute crazy talk to his disciples! After all, why would the promised Messiah suffer? Why would the religious leaders—elders, priests, and scribes reject The One whom everyone had been waiting for? How could the expected deliverer be murdered by anyone? And how on earth would anyone be raised from the dead?

Well, after listening to all this crazy talk for far too long, Peter dragged Jesus over to the side by himself and told him two simple words, “Shut up!”

Peter didn’t want to hear such bad news. Peter wanted Jesus to lead them into battle, overtake the Roman authority, and restore the Nation of Israel to its former glory!

But, in response to Peter’s will, Jesus answered, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”

See, Peter had made the right declaration, but the wrong determination. For Peter had determined that the Messiah would do his will, his way. Peter had determined that if he was going to walk with Jesus, it had better be by an easy road. Peter had determined that if he was going to follow Jesus it would be to an earthly throne and not an old rugged cross.

My friends, whilst Peter’s declaration was right, his determination was wrong. Jesus teaches us that the only right determination is to set our minds on divine things, rather than on human things.

In other words, our attitude, our state of mind, our feeling regarding Jesus ought to be, “THY will be done on Earth, as it is in Heaven.”

In other words, we must determine that God’s will and way is better than our will and way. We must determine that since God knows and sees all things, God has the right to choose which path we will walk upon. And we must determine that we will follow God, wherever He may lead us!

Well, I cannot imagine just how shocked Peter and the other disciples were when Jesus declared, “Get behind me Satan!” But, I can only assume that it was a very, very awkward moment.

But, then Jesus began to explain. Look, Peter, you made the right declaration, but you’ve got to change your determination and here’s why.

Then Jesus went on to explain the decision that was set before them as his disciples. He said, "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?” (The Message)

In essence, Jesus set a decision before his disciples. He gave them an opportunity to adjust their attitudes, make up their minds, and school their feelings.

Jesus helped them to see that being his followers meant making a decision to follow Him and never, ever turning back!

My dear friends, the same decision is set before us today. We are invited to make a declaration, determination, and decision regarding the place that Jesus will have in our own lives.

We must decide who Jesus is. We must determine that God’s will be done. And we must decide to follow Jesus and never turn back.

Jesus said, “What does it profit a man, to gain the whole world, and still lose his soul?”

The Bible teaches us that God loves the world so much that God gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life. The Bible declares that Jesus did not stay dead, hallelujah, but was resurrected on the third day just as he promised that he would!

In response to this Ultimate Truth, we must examine our attitude, our thoughts, and our feelings. We must declare with our whole body, mind, and spirit, “Jesus You are my Messiah, the Son of the Living God!” In doing so, we put all of our hope in Jesus to save and deliver us from our sin and to gift us with eternal life.

Today, you are invited to make a decision about Jesus. We will close with a song that we used to sing all the time when I was a little child.

It is entitled, “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus” (Won’t you sing with me?)

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.


INVITATION

There may be someone who is reading/listening today, who is ready to declare, determine, and decide to put all of their hope in Jesus. If that is you, won’t you pray with me today?

Holy God, thank you that you love me so much that you gave Jesus to die on the cross to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life. I know that my attitude stinks and I want to change it today. Right now I declare that you are my Savior, Lord and Friend. I determine to allow you to take full control of my life and I have decided to follow you wherever you may lead me. I love you and I am determined to share our love with others. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit. I pray this in Jesus’ Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you are saved! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!

Please share your good news with me by clicking "YES" God saved me today in the poll located on the top, right hand side of this blog. Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)


MUSIC MINISTRY



No comments:

Post a Comment