Wednesday, September 30, 2009

God is not finished with me yet!!


SCRIPTURE




Psalm 5 (NRSV)


Lead me in righteousness


Give ear to my words, O Lord;
give heed to my sighing.
Listen to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil will not sojourn with you.
The boastful will not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house,
I will bow down toward your holy temple
in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me.

For there is no truth in their mouths;
their hearts are destruction;
their throats are open graves;
they flatter with their tongues.
Make them bear their guilt, O God;
let them fall by their own counsels;
because of their many transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover them with favor as with a shield.


DEVOTION

Yesterday, one of our good news readers in South America wrote to me because he was concerned that he was “bothering” God with his continual prayers for deliverance.

He said that someone had instructed him to request help only one-time in faith and then trust that God would supply all that he needed.

He shared that he was so full of anxiety, worry, and fear regarding his circumstance that he had actually made a second request to God. After so doing, his negative feelings were compounded by guilt as he wrung his hands about his “lack of faith.”

When our dear friend requested a word of wisdom and counsel from me in regard to his circumstances, my answer was, “GRACE, GRACE, GRACE! Grace Abounds!”

In an ideal world, we would all present our requests to God (only one time) and then trust that God is well able to meet all of our needs according to God’s riches in glory.

After all, today’s psalmist said, “O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.”

Wouldn’t it be grand if I was so perfectly full of faith that I could just watch and pray with no anxiety at all? Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I only asked God one time to heal my dying friends or deliver me from financial ruin? Wouldn’t it be fantastic if my faith was so great that I only needed to ask God one time to establish peace on earth and goodwill toward all people?

But, alas, I am human and so are you!

Jesus was aware of our humanity when he taught us to pray, “Give us this day our daily bread.”

Sometimes, I just have to ask God for daily bread! And I am not repeating my petition because I do not trust God. On the contrary, I am very sure that God is good, trustworthy, generous, loving, and kind. It is ME that has the problem.

So, I pray things like, “God increase my faith. God magnify my joy. God grant me peace.”

Although I know that God hears and answers my prayers, I need to pray for God to decrease my fear, anxiety, and worry as I wait. I need to pray for God to perfect me in a spirit of long-suffering. I need to pray for God to enable me to trust God’s “Yes, No, Wait, or Slow.”

Psalm 5 says, “But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover them with favor as with a shield.”


Ain’ta that good news, dear friends?!

God has promised to cover us with favor as with a shield!

Dear one, God has loved us so much that God gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life. Jesus did not stay dead, but was resurrected on the third day, just like He promised that he would!

Since God has not withheld this miracle from our lives, God will not withhold any other miracle that we truly need. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you, not to harm you, but to give you a future and a hope.”

Aren’t you glad that God’s word to us is, “GRACE! GRACE! GRACE! Grace Abounds!”

I wish that I were perfect. I wish that I had so much faith that I could always ask God only one time about my each of my circumstances. But, sometimes I do and sometimes I confess that I do not. “Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief (Mark 9:24)!”

I am so glad that at all times, God’s grace abounds in my life. God loves me so much that God invites me to share all of my fears, anxieties, worries, and pains. God cares for me so much that God is willing to listen to my secret fears time and time again. God is patient with me because God is not finished with me yet!

Hallelujah!

Dear Friend of God, if you have petitioned God to rescue you, but you still feel anxious, fearful, or worried, won’t you please pray with me?

Dear God, I know that you love me and I know that you are good. I know that you have a good plan to rescue me out of my circumstance. While I am waiting, please help me be still. Please increase my faith. Please magnify my joy. Please grant me your peace. I do not want to be filled up with anxiety, worry, and fear. I want to be filled up with your love, joy, and peace. God forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I can share good news and be good news in the lives of others! As I work with you, please teach me to trust you more and more. I pray this in Jesus Name, Amen.


THE INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come to Jesus."


http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html


No comments:

Post a Comment