Saturday, October 10, 2009

With Their Lips...


SCRIPTURE




Matthew 15:1-9 (NRSV)

Jesus teaches true commandments


Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands before they eat." He answered them, "And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Whoever speaks evil of father or mother must surely die.' But you say that whoever tells father or mother, 'Whatever support you might have had from me is given to God,' then that person need not honor the father. So, for the sake of your tradition, you make void the word of God. You hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied rightly about you when he said:
'This people honors me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me;
in vain do they worship me,
teaching human precepts as doctrines.' "


MEDITATION—Today is Saturday Psalmody! Today, the meditation is offered as a psalm from my heart. If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)


They honor me

With flowery words

Acting like

They’ve never heard

That I can see

Into the heart

I know The Truth

Before they start

Deep inside

They’re far away

Teaching lies

Every day

What really matters

Is what you do

How you live

Holiness accrued

In vain they worship

Play a parting a part

Come Judgment Day

They’ll hear “DEPART”

Because they did not

Know the Lord

Because they did not

God adore

Do what I say

Not what I do

Will keep heavens gates

Barred to you.


THE INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, "Come to Jesus."

http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html


No comments:

Post a Comment