Friday, November 27, 2009

Give Thanks For All Things!


SCRIPTURE


1 Thessalonians 5:12-22 (NRSV)
Rejoice, pray, give thanks

But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters, to respect those who labor among you, and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the faint hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; abstain from every form of evil.


DEVOTION

I am so grateful for this word of encouragement on the day after Thanksgiving!

I don’t know about you, but I feel stuffed. I ate good food in great company and it was a wonderful day.

Like many Americans, my plans for today are to eat leftovers, watch television, and maybe do a little shopping. It feels like a lazy day, an opportunity for rest and relaxation.

But, Paul’s epistle reminds us that as Christians, even as we Sabbath, we must remember that there is always “work” to be done; for every day is a good day to honor our leaders, live in peace, encourage the least of these amongst us, and do good unto others!

I love Paul’s admonition to “rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and give thanks in all circumstances.” We are reminded that this triumvirate is God’s will for all of us!

On the day after thanksgiving, may our hearts continue to overflow in praise and gratitude for all that God has done for us! May we continue to rejoice in God’s blessings, pray at all times, and give thanks for absolutely everything!

This behavior was good on yesterday; it is good on today and it will be good on tomorrow! This is why Paul says, “Do not quench the Spirit,” for Spirit will daily cause us to live into an existence of joy, thanksgiving, and prayer!

As we glory in God’s Love that gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life, we will be set ablaze to share God’s good news with others!

This Sunday, we will begin the season of Advent. It is the time of year when Christians remember the first coming of Jesus in a manger on Christmas Day and look forward to the second coming of Jesus in great glory!

As we wait, we pray together, “Come Lord, Jesus, Come!”

When He comes, I pray that Jesus will find a prayerful people full of joy and thanksgiving!

Amen, Lord, may it be so!


Won’t you pray with me?

Holy God, although I want to be lazy, please help me to take advantage of every opportunity presented to be your light and love in somebody’s life today! I really am full of joy and thanksgiving when I think of your many blessings toward me. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit. It is never my desire to quench your Spirit; please help me to please you in every way! I love you and I promise to share your love with others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


THE INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @
http://aintathatgoodnews.blogspot.com/2009/03/come-to-jesus.html

No comments:

Post a Comment