Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Steadfast Love...

LENT--DAY 12


SCRIPTURE

Numbers 14:10b-24 (NRSV)

Moses intercedes for the people

Then the glory of the Lord appeared at the tent of meeting to all the Israelites. And the Lord said to Moses, "How long will this people despise me? And how long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the signs that I have done among them? I will strike them with pestilence and disinherit them, and I will make of you a nation greater and mightier than they."

But Moses said to the Lord, "Then the Egyptians will hear of it, for in your might you brought up this people from among them, and they will tell the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that you, O Lord, are in the midst of this people; for you, O Lord, are seen face to face, and your cloud stands over them and you go in front of them, in a pillar of cloud by day and in a pillar of fire by night. Now if you kill this people all at one time, then the nations who have heard about you will say, 'It is because the Lord was not able to bring this people into the land he swore to give them that he has slaughtered them in the wilderness.' And now, therefore, let the power of the Lord be great in the way that you promised when you spoke, saying,
'The Lord is slow to anger,
and abounding in steadfast love,
forgiving iniquity and transgression,
but by no means clearing the guilty,
visiting the iniquity of the parents
upon the children
to the third and the fourth generation.'

Forgive the iniquity of this people according to the greatness of your steadfast love, just as you have pardoned this people, from Egypt even until now."

Then the Lord said, "I do forgive, just as you have asked; nevertheless -- as I live, and as all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord -- none of the people who have seen my glory and the signs that I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and yet have tested me these ten times and have not obeyed my voice, shall see the land that I swore to give to their ancestors; none of those who despised me shall see it. But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me wholeheartedly, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it.

DEVOTION

Today I am struck by the importance of intercessory prayer.

During Lent, there is an intense focus on personal prayer, fasting, confession of sin, and charitable good works.

I realize that I have spent much time calling out to God to forgive my “stiff-necked ways,” but not as much time interceding with God on behalf of the sin, stubbornness, and unbelief of others!

It is a sad fact that all human beings have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We have had ample opportunity to see God’s glory and witness God’s miracles, but we still fail to believe in God’s ability to save us, when the going gets tough.

It seems that human beings have very short memories and it is our short memories that rightfully frustrate and anger our God. In the case of the Israelites God became so angry that God determined to wipe them off the planet and start over with Moses.

Fortunately, Moses was a man of prayer and great faith. He reminded God that God is “slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression, but by no means clearing the guilty…”

Upon hearing Moses’ words, God relented and spared the Israelites from immediate destruction. This turning on God’s part shows just how merciful, gracious, and forgiving God truly is!

But, we also catch of a glimpse of the same Spirit in God when we remember that ultimately God’s steadfast Love gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life.

God had a heart for Caleb because Caleb believed God’s Word and followed God wholeheartedly. This ought to be our Lenten goal—not just for ourselves, but for all of our family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and even our enemies!

As Christians, we have the opportunity to share good news within our spheres of influence. We get to be the hands, feet, and joy of Jesus in the world! As we make pilgrimage with Jesus to the Good Friday cross, let us remind people that Jesus saves and he saves to the utmost!

Let us get to work praying for others and seeking to invite them into the Kingdom of Love where they will experience the forgiveness of God for eternity.

Please pray with me:

Holy God, I know that on more than one occasion I probably deserved to be wiped out! I have not always remembered your saving ways when I am in trouble. I confess that I do have a short memory and I have taken you for granted. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I can intercede on behalf of those whose names you bring into my heart. Lord, I want all of my friends to know your love and experience your forgiveness. Please use me to introduce them to Jesus, my savior and friend. I pray this in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment