Friday, March 5, 2010

WAKE UP!


LENT--DAY 15


Revelation 3:1-6 (NRSV)

Warning to the church in Sardis

"And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars:

"I know your works; you have a name of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is on the point of death, for I have not found your works perfect in the sight of my God. Remember then what you received and heard; obey it, and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. Yet you have still a few persons in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes, and I will not blot your name out of the book of life; I will confess your name before my Father and before his angels. Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.


DEVOTION

I don't' know about you, but sometimes I feel like I am sleep walking through life. I can feel so tired, frustrated, anxious, or miserable that I just want to "tune out" for while, going through the motions, until I can get a second wind.

It is at times like these that I am most prone to making poor choices. For example, I may not exercise, because I feel too tired. I may not pray like I should throughout the day, because I feel too busy. I may not make the time to read my Bible with my husband, because I just want to go to sleep!

In each of these cases I sin because I am not taking care of the mind, body, and spirit that God gave me to enjoy!

Today, I hear God saying to me--and to all of us-- Wake up, and strengthen what remains!

Unless we are dead, it is never too late to start all over again. We can make up our hearts and minds to do the right thing, persevere through hardship, and gain the temporal and eternal rewards of doing what God says to do!

And let me say this, we are not alone! Jesus has sent forth the Holy Spirit to empower and equip us to do every good work in Jesus' Name. When we are tired, Spirit will energize us. When we are weak, Spirit will strengthen us. When we are anxious, Spirit grants us peace.

All we need to do is get still and quiet and allow Spirit to minister to us in the depths of our souls. It is the only way to get into the presence of God where there is enough love, joy, and peace for us to experience God's abundance during our times of lack.

Surely, God is able to help us become triumphant in this life and in the life to come! Now, ain'ta that good news?!


Won't you pray with me now?

Gracious God, I love you. Thank you that your love, joy, and peace are always just a prayer away. Please forgive me for ever thinking that I am too busy to ask for your help. Thank you for all the ways that you bless me; I especially thank you for your Love that gave Jesus to die on the cross to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life. God, I am so glad that Jesus did not stay dead, but was resurrected in victory! This good news constantly reminds me that I do not have to stay "dead" in my worry, fear, and anxiety, but that I can look to you to raise me in the time of trouble. I praise you for Jesus and for his life, death, and resurrection. Please help me to share my love for Jesus with others. In His Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL


ANNOUNCEMENT

During the Lenten Season, all Good News readers are challenged to forward this blog to one person each and every day! Read, share, and BE good news! Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment