Sunday, April 4, 2010

Alleluia! Christ is Risen!

SCRIPTURE

Resurrection of Our Lord
John 20:1-18 (NRSV)

Seeing the risen Christ

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him." Then Peter and the other disciple set out and went toward the tomb. The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the cloth that had been on Jesus' head, not lying with the linen wrappings but rolled up in a place by itself. Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; for as yet they did not understand the scripture, that he must rise from the dead. Then the disciples returned to their homes.

But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him." When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?" Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni!" (which means Teacher). Jesus said to her, "Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord"; and she told them that he had said these things to her.



DEVOTION

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
Christ is risen, indeed! Alleluia!

Oh how I love Resurrection Morn! It is the day of greatest victory!

Keep your eyes open for Jesus on this day! He may appear to you in ways that you don't expect or imagine...

After all, Mary Magdalene did not recognize her Teacher and Lord and she had walked with him throughout much of his earthly ministry.

We may not recognize the way in which Jesus chooses to "appear" to us on this day. Will it be in the face of the homeless man we pass on the way to church? Will it be in the defiant face of a teenage child who is refusing to worship? Will it be in the face of a grinning child running up the center aisle of the church?

We do not know how Jesus will appear, but we do know that HE IS RISEN--victorious over sin, death, and the grave, triumphant in his quest to atone for our sin and open the door to our eternal life!!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
He is risen, indeed! Alleluia!


Let us pray: Ah holy Jesus! I am so glad that Love gave you to die on the cross to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life. But, I am gladder still that you did not stay dead, but resurrected on the third day, just as you promised that you would. Thank you that because you live, I am alive also! Thank you for conquering sin, death, and the grave on my behalf! I am so happy this day! Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit, so that I can share the good news that you are alive. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.



SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you are saved! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would let me know about your decision today by clicking "YES" in the poll located in the upper-right hand corner of the good news blog in answer to the question, "Did God save you today?"

Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment