Thursday, May 27, 2010

GREAT POWER

5/27/2010

Ephesians 1:17-19 (NRSV)

Wisdom in the Trinity

I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power.


DEVOTION

Today I am struck by the call to know "the immeasurable greatness of God's power for us who believe."

Sometimes, we think of power solely as might--or the ability to strike down those who oppose you. In a world wracked by war, we often think in terms of winners and losers, strong and weak, powerful and feeble.

Often, people use their power to oppress others, or to make them do what they want them to do. And we all know that God is the All Powerful One. God can snuff out life with a thought. God can strike the liar or blasphemer with lightning. God could destroy the earth in a heartbeat.

Truly God is more powerful than any other being past, present, or future--AND YET, today's scripture reminds us that God ultimately uses power to love and to save sinners just like you and me.

It is my prayer that Spirit will grant us the wisdom and revelation to know God, and God's son Jesus, and that we will truly know the hope of a life in Jesus! Although we may deserve to be snuffed out because of our disobedience to our God, God meets us again and again with love, grace, and mercy. Isn't that amazing?!

I am so glad that God used power to allow Jesus to live, die, and rise again to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life! Now, that's real power!


Let us pray: All Powerful One, thank you that you have chosen to use your power to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life with you. I am so thankful and honored that instead of giving me what I deserve, you gave me what I do not deserve--Your love, joy, peace, and salvation! I praise you Mighty One and pledge to serve you all of my days--sharing the good news that Jesus saves and He saves to the utmost! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment