Sunday, May 2, 2010

A New Commandment

SCRIPTURE

Fifth Sunday of Easter
John 13:31-35 (NRSV)

Love one another

When he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.' I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."


DEVOTION

Jesus said, "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another."

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all Christians, everywhere, would follow this simple commandment in all times and in all places?

The world would be a much better place, if God's children, would demonstrate our commitment to being Jesus' disciples by loving others.

As we put the good news into action by feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, clothing the naked, housing the homeless, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and speaking words seasoned with love, joy, and peace, we change the world!

I wish we were more consistent in our love for others; but, alas, we are human and thus, prone to sin.

Lord, have mercy upon us!

Every day, let us do our very best to live a life of love. Jesus gave us the perfect example of how to do this as he lived, died, and rose again all in service to humanity! By giving his all, he made atonement for our sin and opened the door to our eternal lives!

Let us follow Jesus' example in word and deed as we seek to love our neighbors, as ourselves!


Let us pray:

Lord, teach me to love you with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment