Sunday, May 30, 2010

HOLY TRINITY SUNDAY


SCRIPTURE

The Holy Trinity
John 16:12-15 (NRSV)

The Spirit will guide you into the truth

"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine. For this reason I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.


DEVOTION

Today is Holy Trinity Sunday.

Many people are mystified by the Trinity and in my opinion that is okay. We cannot know--or understand--everything about God. Sometimes we just need to live with sacred mystery.

But, I do remember my mother teaching me about the Trinity when I was a little girl. I asked her how The Three (e.g., Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) could actually be One.

Mom answered my question with some questions. She said, Is steam water? (yes). Is ice water? (yes) Is liquid H2O in a glass water? (yes)

In that moment I realized that one substance could present in three very different ways and with three very distinct purposes!

Likewise, God chooses to present in three different ways with three distinct purposes, but God is no less God in each manifestation. God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all GOD. The One God whose love caused the creation, salvation, and redemption of the entire world and everything in it!

Together, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit declare Truth and Love, and God's love makes all things possible!

I am so glad that The Triune God chose to manifest Love by giving Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life.

On this day, you are invited to fall into the Love of The One God who loves you more than you could hope, dream, or imagine! You'll be glad you did!


Let us pray:

Holy God, thank you that in all three of your manifestations your attitude toward me is love. Thank you for giving Jesus to die on the cross to forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit. Please forgive me of my sin and help me to share your love with everyone that I meet. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today you are a Christian! I would be so honored if you would take a moment to let me know that you put all of your hope in Jesus today by clicking YES in the upper right hand corner of this blog in answer to the question, "Did God save you today?"

I also pray that you will tell a Christian friend about your decision, so that s/he can help you find a good Bible believing church to attend where you can be baptized and grow in your faith.

Congratulations! Your salvation is our good news. Please share the good news with someone today!

Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment