Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Please Look At Me, Lord!


SCRIPTURE


Luke 9:37-43a (NRSV)

Jesus heals a boy with a demon

On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. Just then a man from the crowd shouted, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son; he is my only child. Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and all at once he shrieks. It convulses him until he foams at the mouth; it mauls him and will scarcely leave him. I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not." Jesus answered, "You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here." While he was coming, the demon dashed him to the ground in convulsions. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the boy, and gave him back to his father. And all were astounded at the greatness of God.


DEVOTION

I find that in 2010 many people have a hard time with the scriptures that deal with demons. Many people feel very removed from the talk of "unclean spirits" which is very present in New Testament writings.

But, if we look around, we see many people who struggle physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually with "forces" that rob them of the love, joy, and peace which is their inheritance as children of God.

I have held many of these dear ones in my prayers--hoping, trusting, and praying that they will receive the help and healing that they need to become healthy, happy, holy, and whole.

If you know someone who is struggling under the weight of illness, disease, or dis-ease of mind/spirit, please do not lose heart. We serve a God who is well able to meet all of our needs according to God's riches in glory!

Today, I want to invite all of us to take courage, do not lose heart, and keep praying. The answers that we are seeking may be just around the corner.

I find that when I pray sometimes God changes me, sometimes God changes others, and sometimes God teaches me to trust him even if nothing changes. It is in this trust that I find peace and hope for the future.


Let us pray:

Oh God, there are so many afflictions that rob us of joy and peace. Today I pray for those who are physically, mentally, or spiritually sick. God, please send forth the necessary resources in people, places, and things to be able to meet all of their needs. God, I know that you are well able to restore love, joy, and peace to any circumstance. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.



INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta






No comments:

Post a Comment