Friday, July 23, 2010

Lord & Messiah


SCRIPTURE

Acts 2:22-36 (NRSV)

The Messiah is handed over to death

"You that are Israelites, listen to what I have to say: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know - this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. But God raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for him to be held in its power. For David says concerning him,
'I saw the Lord always before me,
for he is at my right hand so that I will not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
moreover my flesh will live in hope.
For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
or let your Holy One experience corruption.
You have made known to me the ways of life;
you will make me full of gladness with your presence.'

"Fellow Israelites, I may say to you confidently of our ancestor David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Since he was a prophet, he knew that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would put one of his descendants on his throne. Foreseeing this, David spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, saying,
'He was not abandoned to Hades,
nor did his flesh experience corruption.'

This Jesus God raised up, and of that all of us are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you both see and hear. For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,
'The Lord said to my Lord,
"Sit at my right hand,
until I make your enemies your footstool." '

Therefore let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified."


DEVOTION

I love this declaration, "
Therefore let [everyone] know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified."

It is good that Jesus is our Lord. A Lord is one who
has authority, control, or power over others. A Lord rules over his subjects and exercises great authority over the same.

Certainly, as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Jesus deserves for us to allow him Lordship over our lives.

But, Jesus is also our Messiah, or one who saves, liberates, and delivers us from sin, death, and the grave.

If Jesus was Lord, but not Messiah, we would die in our sin for we simply would not be able to live up to his expectations and laws for his subjects.

Likewise, if Jesus was Messiah, but not Lord--we would be saved, but would not live into the fullness of that salvation with a heart to love God and neighbor as ourselves.


It is vitally important that we allow Jesus, who lived, died, and rose again on our behalf to be BOTH our Lord and our Messiah.

As we allow him to exercise Lordship over our lives, we will seek to be more like Him. We will desire to love God and neighbor as ourselves. We will seek to do good works--not out of obligation--but in order to point to the glory of our God in heaven!

Similarly, as we allow Jesus to be Messiah over our lives. We will live in peace. We will not fear sin or death for we know that Jesus conquered both when he died on the cross and then rose again on the third day, making atonement for our sin and gifting us with eternal life!

What a wonderful life! We have a Savior, who is both Lord and Messiah, who gives us both direction and peace in this life--and the life to come!


Let us pray thanking God for Jesus!

Oh God! Thank you so much that Jesus is both Lord and Messiah over my life! I am full of peace and excitement as I walk with you. Please help me to share my joy in Jesus, with everyone whom I meet. I pray this in Jesus' Name! Amen.



INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment