Sunday, July 4, 2010

SENT AHEAD...

SCRIPTURE

Time after Pentecost - Lectionary 14
Luke 10:1-11, 16-20 (NRSV)

Jesus sends out seventy disciples

After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go. He said to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. Go on your way. See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves. Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace to this house!' And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; cure the sick who are there, and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.' But whenever you enter a town and they do not welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 'Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off in protest against you. Yet know this: the kingdom of God has come near.' ...

"Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, in your name even the demons submit to us!" He said to them, "I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning. See, I have given you authority to tread on snakes and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing will hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice at this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."


DEVOTION

Today I am struck by the words, "After this the Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended to go."

I love this verse because it reminds me that anyone can be sent out ahead of Jesus to the places that GOD wants to go!

So often we imagine that only the 12 disciples were "sent," to do the work of Jesus; but in today's reading we find that seventy others were sent out to "bring the kingdom of God near" to those in need of it!

As followers of JESUS, we are still being sent out in 2010. Spirit leads us to every town and place that God wants to go. Spirit helps us to share the good news about Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. Spirit helps us to bring a foretaste of the Kingdom of Love to the very hearts of our family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

Often, as we share Jesus, we will witness spectacular things! We may see bodies, minds, or spirits healed in Jesus' Name. But, let us not lose sight of the most important thing which is sharing the love of Jesus and encouraging our loved ones to put all of their hope in Him.

Isn't it amazing that our "names are written in heaven?" This is the most incredible miracle of all!

It is my sincerest desire for every person I meet to have their names written in heaven too! Because of this God-given desire, I take my joy in overcoming my fear of rejection, as I boldly share, "Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again!"

If you are nervous about sharing your good news message, take a Christian friend with you! After all, Jesus sent out his followers 2-by-2. There's nothing wrong with grabbing a buddy and sharing the love of Jesus in your community!


Let us pray: Good and gracious Lord, I am so honored that you send me out to the places that you wish to go. I know that you want to fill up the hearts of everyone whom I meet. Please help me to share your love liberally and please help me to rejoice in the good news that you love, give, and save, every single day! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



SPECIAL NOTE: Today is Independence Day in the United States of America. To all of those people celebrating, I pray that your day will be blessed and that you will use your liberties and privilege to be a blessing to others today--and always! Go in peace and serve the Lord! (Thanks be to GOD!)


No comments:

Post a Comment