Saturday, July 31, 2010

SURELY YOU JEST...


SCRIPTURE

Mark 10:17-22 (NRSV)

Treasure in heaven

As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honor your father and mother.'" He said to him, "Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth." Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.


DEVOTION--Today is Saturday Psalmody; the mediation is offered as a psalm from my heart! If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)

SURELY YOU JEST...

Surely you jest Lord
I can't give that up
That cost 2 weeks paycheck and
I stood in line 2 hours
waiting for that thing

I can't give up my shoes
my jewelry
my car
my house

You don't know what you're asking...
that cologne
that shirt
those jeans
they make me cool in the eyes of others

What will I do without visible signs
of my status in this world
How will people know that I'm so much
better than they are
If they can't see my stuff?

Now stop playin'
You can't have my purse
Not my phone
I've got 10 texts to send
in the next 2 minutes
Not my laptop
I've got to skype my "friends" and
I've got 100 emails to answer
and that latest video on YouTube?
I've got to embed that on my blog
by morning.

What?!
My TV?!
Do you know that has surround sound?
3D?
plays TV, movies, and music?
My stainless steal fridge
It's going to impress those whom I love
and who only love me because...

Well, WHY DOES everyone love me?
Is it because of my stuff?
I'm shocked!
I'm grieving...
I do want treasure in heaven,
but also here on earth
GOODBYE!


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment