Monday, August 16, 2010

LOVE THEM THERE!

SCRIPTURE

Jeremiah 23:30-40 (NRSV)

False prophets

See, therefore, I am against the prophets, says the Lord, who steal my words from one another. See, I am against the prophets, says the Lord, who use their own tongues and say, "Says the Lord." See, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, says the Lord, and who tell them, and who lead my people astray by their lies and their recklessness, when I did not send them or appoint them; so they do not profit this people at all, says the Lord.

When this people, or a prophet, or a priest asks you, "What is the burden of the Lord?" you shall say to them, "You are the burden, and I will cast you off, says the Lord." And as for the prophet, priest, or the people who say, "The burden of the Lord," I will punish them and their households. Thus shall you say to one another, among yourselves, "What has the Lord answered?" or "What has the Lord spoken?" But "the burden of the Lord" you shall mention no more, for the burden is everyone's own word, and so you pervert the words of the living God, the Lord of hosts, our God. Thus you shall ask the prophet, "What has the Lord answered you?" or "What has the Lord spoken?" But if you say, "the burden of the Lord," thus says the Lord: Because you have said these words, "the burden of the Lord," when I sent to you, saying, You shall not say, "the burden of the Lord," therefore, I will surely lift you up and cast you away from my presence, you and the city that I gave to you and your ancestors. And I will bring upon you everlasting disgrace and perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten.



DEVOTION

It is such an honor and a responsibility to share the good news with another human being.

It is so important that when we share the heart of Jesus, we share accurately and truthfully.

It grieves me that so often I see people attempting to "beat" people to the cross by shoving Law and fear down their throats.

As my mama told me early in my ministry, "You don't beat people to the cross, you LOVE them there!"

The good news message in a nutshell is that God loves the world so much that God gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life.

LOVE is the central message of the Bible and of the good news!

Most of us know exactly what we are doing wrong. Most of us are extremely ashamed or guilty about it. That is why ALL of us need to know and believe that God is big enough, bad enough, and powerful enough to have overcome sin, death, and the grave on our behalf!

People need to know that JESUS saves and He saves to the utmost! They need to know that no matter how bad they've messed up, they can get back up again. They need to know that no matter what they've done, they can't out sin, out run, or out fox the love of God that has been revealed to us in Christ Jesus!

This side of the cross Jesus has commanded all of his followers to go to all people, in all nations, teaching and baptizing in God's Name.

We have an unction to share the good news! Let the words of our mouths and meditations of our hearts, be acceptable in God's sight and may we be used to draw people into relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus, who is the Christ!


Let us pray: Oh God! It is so easy to point fingers of judgment and condemnation at others! Yet you have met my sin with grace and mercy. Please help me to extend the same to others as I share the good news that LOVE gave Jesus to live, die, and rise again to forgive our sin and gift us with eternal life. Please fix my mouth that I might only speak words of love and life this day. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


SPECIAL INVITATION

If you would like to put all of your hope in Jesus today, please pray with me:

Dear God, I love you. I believe that Jesus lived, died, and rose again to forgive my sin and gift me with eternal life. I am sorry for sinning against you. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I can do your will. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.

If you prayed this prayer for the first time, today you have become a Christian! I am so happy that you have chosen to put all of your hope in Jesus. I want to encourage you to tell a Christian friend what you have done today so that s/he can help you to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and grow in the love and knowledge of God. Please also take a moment to click "YES" in the survey at the top of this blog in answer to the question, "Did you put all of your hope in Jesus today?"

Congratulations! Today is your spiritual re-birthday! I promise to hold you in prayer in the days to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment