Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THROW AWAYS?

SCRIPTURE

Bartholomew, Apostle
John 1:43-51 (NRSV)

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

DEVOTION

Ah! It gives me great pleasure to know that God KNOWS me intimately and still invites me to follow him.

I know that it is not because I am so perfect, godly, or holy. Just like everybody else, I am a sinner, saved only by God's Amazing Grace and Unconditional Love.

So, what is it about us? Why won't God just let us go? Why doesn't God give up on us? Throw us away? Strike us with lightening?

I was asked these questions yesterday by a woman in great distress. My answer was simple. "You're a mother. When your child messes up do you want to kill him? Throw him away? Abandon him?"

She looked mortified as she answered indignantly, "OF COURSE NOT!"

I answered, "Neither does God..."

She looked positively shocked. I think that we forget that God is our Heavenly Parent and loves us more than our earthly mother and father combined.

God is not going to leave or forsake us just because we've messed up! God has elected to stick closer than any brother and when that wasn't enough, God ransomed us with His own blood by dying on the cross to make atonement for our sin and gift us with eternal life!

I can't even begin to imagine why everyone doesn't love and serve a God like this! This is none like our God!

Despite the fact that we screw up time and time again, God still says, "I know you...follow me."

It is the greatest honor of my life (and yours) that God has use for me and that I am invited to be an ambassador of the Kingdom of Love and an emissary of the good news message that, "Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again!"

Be not dismayed. Throw yourself into the net of God's Amazing Grace and trust that Love will catch you every time.

You are not junk. You are not trash. You don't need to be thrown away. All you need is to accept the free gift of God's love and grace toward you and to put all of your hope in God.

If you could just see yourself through the eyes of God, you would realize how beautiful and wonderful you truly are!

Be at peace friend. GOD LOVES YOU.


Let us pray: God, please forgive me for thinking that you made a mistake when you made me. I know that you love me more than I could dare to hope, dream, or imagine. Please help me to trust your love and grace toward me. Please help me to believe that you are daily forgiving my sin when I ask. And please help me to know--and believe--that Jesus' death upon the cross was more than enough to atone for my sin and gift me with eternal life. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment