Saturday, September 18, 2010

20 BUCKS...

SCRIPTURE

Mark 12:41-44 (NRSV)

A widow's offering


He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on."


DEVOTION--Today is Saturday Psalmody; the mediation is offered as a psalm from my heart! If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)


20 BUCKS

It really annoys me
When you talk about
Giving to the church
It annoys me further
When you speak
Of the tithe
Nobody actually tithes,

Right?

I mean…

I give out of my abundance
What you deserve
The doors of MY church
Stay open
We pay our staff
And the heat is on
We even do BIG EXTRAS
Like caring for the homeless
And visiting the sick

So, why are you getting
On me about my 3%?
3% of my income is a
RATHER LARGE SUM
If I do say so myself

I see you commending that
Stupid little widow;
She put two pennies in the plate!

Every week I put her entire monthly salary
In this plate
And you have never once told me
GOOD JOB!

Out of my abundance
I share what you deserve and
what I think you really need
And 20 bucks a week
Ought to do it.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



No comments:

Post a Comment