Saturday, September 4, 2010

GET OUT!

SCRIPTURE

Matthew 10:34-42 (NRSV)

The cost of discipleship

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and one's foes will be members of one's own household.

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

"Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple - truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."


DEVOTION--Today is Saturday Psalmody; the mediation is offered as a psalm from my heart! If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)


GET OUT!


Welcome!
Welcome!
Come on in...
I welcome you as Christ.
Yes, you may have some water
Here it is
clean
and out of the tap too.
What did you say?
Food too?
Well, I hadn't planned to feed you,
but, I welcome you as Christ,
so, let's see what I can do
Here's noodles, butter, and bread
its the best I have
for the likes of you
What did you say?
Oh no you didn't!
My bed...
you want to sleep in my bed?
Now this is getting ridiculous...
You know,
you're not actually Christ, right?
Not a prophet
Not a...
well, not a...
well, I guess did say I would welcome you as Christ
But, this is getting ridiculous...
You want to share my family
my stuff
my home
my food
my water
my bed?
What did that Jesus say?
Lose my life
to find it...
I like my life,
thank you very much
and I'm sure I don't want to lose it
And carry a cross?
that's just not my thing
Can I write you a check?
How much?
What!?
Too much! Too much!
What's in it for me?
What's the reward?
I just can't get with this...
Lord,
GET OUT!

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta


No comments:

Post a Comment