Thursday, September 16, 2010

It Was An Accident!

SCRIPTURE

Romans 3:1-8 (NRSV)

The justice of God


Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision? Much, in every way. For in the first place the Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God. What if some were unfaithful? Will their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Although everyone is a liar, let God be proved true, as it is written,
"So that you may be justified in your words,
and prevail in your judging."

But if our injustice serves to confirm the justice of God, what should we say? That God is unjust to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.) By no means! For then how could God judge the world? But if through my falsehood God's truthfulness abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? And why not say (as some people slander us by saying that we say), "Let us do evil so that good may come"? Their condemnation is deserved!


DEVOTION

I've always been fascinated by the argument floated by some of the early Christians that we should sin as much as possible, so that God's grace could abound all the more! (giggles...)

This argument is obviously flawed for so many reasons, but I have actually heard contemporary Christians express a similar sentiment saying, "What does it matter if I sin, God will forgive me anyway..."

As a mother, this argument baffles me. If my children decided to run in the street out of disobedience with the notion that I would forgive them, I would be appalled. If my children decided to purposefully lie to me with the notion that I would forgive them, I would be dismayed! If my kids decided to do anything that would be against my rules, for the sole purpose of giving me the opportunity to forgive them, I would be so hurt!

It would hurt me so much to know that my kids thought so little of me that they were willing to purposefully and intentionally disobey me in order to see my love, grace, and forgiveness flare up!

Furthermore, although I know that I would love and forgive them, I would also punish them for willful insubordination.

I suspect that God feels the same way that I do as a mother. Although God unconditionally loves us and extends amazing grace to us in good measure, we should not "test" God. We should not take this love and grace for granted and we should always do our best to show forth our love for God by being as radically obedient as possible.

Will we mess up from time to time? Yes...for nobody is perfect! But, we ought to sin on accident and never on purpose.

I am so grateful for God's unconditional love and amazing grace! I am so thankful that Jesus lived, died, and rose again to forgive my sin and gift me with eternal life. And I am so determined to do my best to passionately pursue perfection with everything I've got!


Let us pray: Good and Gracious God, I love you. Please forgive me for those times I have willfully sinned against you or my neighbor. Please help me to live in love to the best of my ability through the power of your Holy Spirit. Again, I say thanks! In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta




No comments:

Post a Comment