Monday, October 11, 2010

Go in peace...

2 Kings 5:15-19a (NRSV)

Naaman seeks to repay Elisha

Then he returned to the man of God, he and all his company; he came and stood before him and said, "Now I know that there is no God in all the earth except in Israel; please accept a present from your servant." But he said, "As the Lord lives, whom I serve, I will accept nothing!" He urged him to accept, but he refused. Then Naaman said, "If not, please let two mule-loads of earth be given to your servant; for your servant will no longer offer burnt offering or sacrifice to any god except the Lord. But may the Lord pardon your servant on one count: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, leaning on my arm, and I bow down in the house of Rimmon, when I do bow down in the house of Rimmon, may the Lord pardon your servant on this one count." He said to him, "Go in peace."


DEVOTION

It occurs to me that most of us are a lot like Naaman. We get really excited when good things happen! We want to share our joy with others! We sometimes remember to thank the human being who delivered the service, but we often forget to thank GOD for using the hands, feet, mouth, or smile of the human to accomplish the good work!

Even if we do remember to thank GOD it comes with stipulations. I will praise you on Sunday at church, but not Monday at work. I will lift up my hands at the contemporary worship service, but not at the traditional. I will boldly proclaim the Name of Jesus to strangers, but not to my family.

We are so challenged a sin-sick ones! We have such great potential to walk in right relationship with God--for we were created to do so, but the reality of sin thwarts us every time!

Thanks be to God who gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life! Thanks be to the Law of Love that looks beyond our faults and sees our needs.

I am struck by Elisha's words to Namaan, "Go in peace..."

I can hear God saying the same thing to us on this day!

GO IN PEACE...

As we desire to give thanks, as we desire to worship God, God is pleased!

Now, ain'ta that good news?!


Let us pray: Oh God! Thank you for being so generous toward me in so many ways! I thank and praise you for being so wonderful! I especially thank you for Jesus! Please help me to share the good news with everyone that I meet. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment