Wednesday, October 13, 2010

True Worshipers

SCRIPTURE

Psalm 61 (NRSV)

Prayer for a long life

Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I call to you,
when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I;
for you are my refuge,
a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me abide in your tent forever,
find refuge under the shelter of your wings.
Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
may his years endure to all generations!
May he be enthroned forever before God;
appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So I will always sing praises to your name,
as I pay my vows day after day.


DEVOTION

I love the words, "I will always sing praises to your name!"

Today, although the storms of life are raging all around me, I want to make up my mind to be a true worshiper.

A true worshiper does not worship merely because it is convenient. A true worshiper does not only worship when things are good. A true worshiper cannot be deterred from their commitment to offer God honor and praise--no matter what the circumstance.

Instead, a true worshiper will worship even when times are tough, when trouble threatens to overwhelm, when circumstances don't work out as they had hoped, and even when it appears that all hope is lost.

The psalmist says, "
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the end of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint."

Sometimes we have to call on God even when our hearts are faint! It is at these times that God hurries to our aid, providing refuge and acting as our strong tower.

How I love our God for being so praise-worthy and faithful to us!

Won't you make up your mind to be a true worshiper today?


Let pray: O God, I worship you! I love and adore you! I bow down my heart before you! I do not worship based on external circumstance, but because my heart is very sure that you love me and gave Jesus to die on the cross for me! Thank you for the atonement of my sin! Thank you for the promise of eternal life! Please teach me to worship you in spirit and in truth. In the Name of Jesus, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta


No comments:

Post a Comment