Friday, November 5, 2010

CHEERFUL!

SCRIPTURE

Acts 24:10-23 (NRSV)

Paul testifies to the resurrection

When the governor motioned to him to speak, Paul replied:

"I cheerfully make my defense, knowing that for many years you have been a judge over this nation. As you can find out, it is not more than twelve days since I went up to worship in Jerusalem. They did not find me disputing with anyone in the temple or stirring up a crowd either in the synagogues or throughout the city. Neither can they prove to you the charge that they now bring against me. But this I admit to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors, believing everything laid down according to the law or written in the prophets. I have a hope in God - a hope that they themselves also accept - that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous. Therefore I do my best always to have a clear conscience toward God and all people. Now after some years I came to bring alms to my nation and to offer sacrifices. While I was doing this, they found me in the temple, completing the rite of purification, without any crowd or disturbance. But there were some Jews from Asia - they ought to be here before you to make an accusation, if they have anything against me. Or let these men here tell what crime they had found when I stood before the council, unless it was this one sentence that I called out while standing before them, 'It is about the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you today.'"

But Felix, who was rather well informed about the Way, adjourned the hearing with the comment, "When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case." Then he ordered the centurion to keep him in custody, but to let him have some liberty and not to prevent any of his friends from taking care of his needs.


DEVOTION

I have a hope in God - a hope that they themselves also accept - that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

I love the above sentence because Paul firmly--and cheerfully--places all of his hope in God.

In Psalm 9 we are reminded that "those who know God's Name, put their hope in Him." And, again in Acts 24, Paul says that our hope is in God, who is Lord of the Resurrection!

I often remind people that we are all going to live forever--that part is not optional! We all possess an eternal soul that will be in need of a home when our bodies die.

The only options on the "eternal life menu" are TRUST GOD or DO NOT TRUST GOD.

Those who trust God have NO-thing to fear when we come to the moment of our death. We know--and believe--with all our hearts that death is but a door that will lead into our eternal home with God!

As such, we should be able to approach that door with love, joy, peace, and thanksgiving for we know that Love with meet us with arms wide open.

Recently I was visiting with a person who made the difficult decision to allow her loved one to die in peace. She said that after the decision the person opened her eyes--which were bright, excited, and cheerful for the first time in a long while. The loved one smiled and then began waving or beckoning at something that she could not see.

She said that her loved one looked happy and at peace and that she believed that the transformation occurred when she realized that she would soon meet meet Jesus face to face!

Ah!

What a blessed day! What a holy, blessed, and sacred moment!

I am so excited to see Jesus face to face! That is why I have put all of my trust in Him. Every single day I pray that my cheerful testimony will be that God is the All-Powerful One who is able to secure our resurrection from the dead.

Be at peace my friends...Death is but a door to wonders yet untold.


Let us pray: I love you Lord! Thank you for dying on the cross and rising on the third day to forgive my sin and gift me with eternal life. Today, I put all of my trust in you. You are Lord of the Resurrection! Please forgive me of my sin and make me sure of my eternal life. Please also help me to share our love with others. In Jesus' Name, Amen.



SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you have become a follower of Christ! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would take a moment to click "YES" in answer to the survey question "Did you put all of your hope in Jesus today?" located at the top-right-hand corner of this blog.


Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment