Wednesday, November 17, 2010

GOD IS MY REFUGE

Psalm 141 (NRSV)

God is my refuge

I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me;
give ear to my voice when I call to you.
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.
Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.
Do not turn my heart to any evil,
to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with those who work iniquity;
do not let me eat of their delicacies.

Let the righteous strike me;
let the faithful correct me.
Never let the oil of the wicked anoint my head,
for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.
When they are given over to those who shall condemn them,
then they shall learn that my words were pleasant.
Like a rock that one breaks apart and shatters on the land,
so shall their bones be strewn at the mouth of Sheol.

But my eyes are turned toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; do not leave me defenseless.
Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me,
and from the snares of evildoers.
Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
while I alone escape.


DEVOTION

If you're anything like me you've often prayed the prayer, "I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me; give ear to my voice when I call to you."

I consider this an SOS or 911 call directed to heaven!

Sometimes, in this life, we have situations that require a "come quickly to me prayer!"

I am so glad that God is so gracious and merciful to appreciate our sense of urgency. Looking at it from God's throne room, our "urgent" situations probably look very manageable. Since God can see from the beginning to the end at the same time, God knows exactly how things work out for the good.

But, because God loves us so much, God responds to our sense of urgency! God rushes to our aid! God helps us in our trouble! God stands by us when we are attacked. God comforts us when we are bereaved! God counsels us when we are distressed! God catches us when we are falling!

I could go on and on, but what I am trying to say is that God is our refuge in the time of trouble.

It doesn't matter what you are going through. Please know that our good and gracious God stands ready and willing to assist us. All we need to do is call upon him!


Let's pray: Dear Lord, this is an SOS. I'm in real trouble right now. My body, mind, and spirit are in distress. I'm worried, confused, anxious, and angry. Please help me! In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION
If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment