Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Good Fruit...

Wednesday, Second Week of Advent

Matthew 12:33 37 (NRSV)

A good tree bears good fruit

"Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person brings good things out of a good treasure, and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil treasure. I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."



DEVOTION

Oh my goodness!

I don't know about you, but I am supremely convicted by the words, "on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

YIKES!

I am so glad that Jesus lived, died, and rose again to forgive my sin and gift me with eternal life--because if I had to stand on every careless word I have ever spoken, there would be no help for me!

Today, I hear a call in scripture to speak less and pray and read Bible more. During this holy Advent Season, as we turn our faces to Jesus Christ, in love, joy, peace, and hope, we may want to shut our mouths. (giggles...)

I remember reading in the Bible that if we could control our tongues we could be perfect in every other way! I remember knowing that it is our tongues that steer the "boat" of our lives. It is by our tongues that we speak life or death!

During this CHRISTmas season, we may get angry, frustrated, or worried. We may feel stressed out if we choose to run to and fro spending money we don't have and making bills we cannot pay. In the midst of our anxiety, let us pray for Spirit to guard our tongues! Let us trust Spirit to give us the words that we need to say to bear witness to the good news that Jesus Lives!

Our tongues are a most powerful tool! They can be used to build up or tear down. As we wait for the celebration of Jesus' birthday and Christ's glorious return, let us do our best to only speak words of Life.

Let us pray:

Lord, have mercy! Please guard my tongue and let me only speak words that are pleasing in your sight! Please forgive every careless word I have ever spoken and please help me to do better in the future, with your help. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.

INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment