Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm Not Worthy...

Friday, First Week of Advent

SCRIPTURE

Acts 13:16 25 (NRSV)

Paul's testimony concerning John the Baptist

So Paul stood up and with a gesture began to speak:

"You Israelites, and others who fear God, listen. The God of this people Israel chose our ancestors and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with uplifted arm he led them out of it. For about forty years he put up with them in the wilderness. After he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them their land as an inheritance for about four hundred fifty years. After that he gave them judges until the time of the prophet Samuel. Then they asked for a king; and God gave them Saul son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, who reigned for forty years. When he had removed him, he made David their king. In his testimony about him he said, 'I have found David, son of Jesse, to be a man after my heart, who will carry out all my wishes.' Of this man's posterity God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised; before his coming John had already proclaimed a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. And as John was finishing his work, he said, 'What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but one is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of the sandals on his feet."'


DEVOTION

Advent is a season of watching and praying. We wait in glad anticipation for the coming of Christ and the celebration of CHRISTmas, which is Jesus' birthday!

As we wait in hope, peace, joy, and love, we seek to point people to Christ!

Like John we declare with holy boldness, "What do you suppose that I am? I am not he...I am not worthy to untie the thong of the sandals on his feet."

As we declare the praise-worthiness of Jesus in this holy days season, I believe that our friends, family members, co-workers, neighbors, and enemies will be blessed by our witness.

As we affirm that Jesus is our Savior and Lord, we pray that others will come into relationship with Him.

As we await the celebration of CHRISTmas, we trust that Spirit will lead us to be faithful as we declare the mystery of our faith, "Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again!"

Indeed, this is the best news that anyone could receive this December. May our whole lives we a testimony to the salvific power of God, through Jesus Christ!

BEHOLD, THE LAMB OF GOD, THAT TAKES AWAY THE SIN OF THE WORLD!


Let us pray: Oh God, I know that I am unworthy to do anything for you. Yet, I boldly ask that you would use me as you see fit to advance the Kingdom of Love. If I can do anything to share the good news that Jesus Saves, and He Saves To The Utmost, please help me to do it! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment