Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Healing Waters: Mortal, Have You Seen This?

Tuesday, Third Week of Advent

SCRIPTURE

Ezekiel 47:1-12 (NRSV)

The wilderness will flower

Then he brought me back to the entrance of the temple; there, water was flowing from below the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east); and the water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold of the temple, south of the altar. Then he brought me out by way of the north gate, and led me around on the outside to the outer gate that faces toward the east; and the water was coming out on the south side.

Going on eastward with a cord in his hand, the man measured one thousand cubits, and then led me through the water; and it was ankle deep. Again he measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was knee deep. Again he measured one thousand, and led me through the water; and it was up to the waist. Again he measured one thousand, and it was a river that I could not cross, for the water had risen; it was deep enough to swim in, a river that could not be crossed. He said to me, "Mortal, have you seen this?"


Then he led me back along the bank of the river. As I came back, I saw on the bank of the river a great many trees on the one side and on the other. He said to me, "This water flows toward the eastern region and goes down into the Arabah; and when it enters the sea, the sea of stagnant waters, the water will become fresh. Wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish, once these waters reach there. It will become fresh; and everything will live where the river goes. People will stand fishing beside the sea from En gedi to En eglaim; it will be a place for the spreading of nets; its fish will be of a great many kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea. But its swamps and marshes will not become fresh; they are to be left for salt. On the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing."


DEVOTION

Come on somebody! Doesn't this scripture make you shout HALLELUJAH!

I love this imagery of God's "living waters" flowing out from the Kingdom of Love and flooding the human realm with abundance, fruitfulness, and healing!

Ah! This picture reminds me of the waters of Baptism as well. As we go under the water we "die" with Christ to our sin and as we come up out of the water, we are resurrected to new life in God's Family!

Furthermore, I am reminded of the woman at the well to whom Jesus said, "
but whoever drinks the water I give her will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give her will become in her a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Again, Hallelujah and Praise the Lord!

Isn't it grand that because Jesus lived, died, and rose again, we are the recipients of "living water" that will ensure our eternal lives?


On this day, if you are spiritually thirsty, God wants to quench your thirst. If you feel as if you have been living in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water, God is sending forth waters that will be for your salvation.

COME! COME! COME!

All is now ready, please come!'


PRAYER

If you have never put all of your hope in Jesus, today would be a wonderful day to do so. Won't you pray with me?

Holy God, I am so thirsty! I am always looking for something that I cannot find. Today, I bring my thirst to you, putting all of my hope in Jesus. I believe that you love me. I believe that Jesus died on the cross to make atonement for my sin and then rose on the third day to ensure my eternal life. Please do forgive my sin and fill me with Your Spirit, so that I can walk in love. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you have become a follower of Christ! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would take a moment to click "YES" in answer to the survey question "Did you put all of your hope in Jesus today?" located at the top-right-hand corner of this blog.


Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!


INVITATION


If you have questions more questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment