Sunday, January 9, 2011

Baptism of our Lord

Baptism of Our Lord
Matthew 3:13-17 (NRSV)

Christ revealed as God's servant

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."


DEVOTION

Today was a delightful day at my church!

We baptized many people young and old into Christ and into the family of God!

Recently my family welcomed two little girls into our family through adoption. It is an amazing gift to enlarge our family in this way.

Today, God's family was enlarged as we declared, "I baptize you now in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!"

Like my new daughters, the people we baptized will be a part of the Family of God forever. No matter how "good or bad" they may be, they can never be un-adopted. They are stuck with all of us as brothers and sisters in Christ, for as long as they live!

I am so pleased that Jesus chose to be baptized, showing us by his example, that God loves us and is pleased with us!


Let us pray: Thank you for the free gift of baptism. Thank you for allowing me to die to sin and rise again to new life in Christ. Thank you for Jesus, who lived, died, and rose again to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life! I pray all of this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



No comments:

Post a Comment