Monday, February 2, 2009

God's Promises Never Fail!


Presentation of Our Lord
Luke 2:22-40 (NRSV)*

I don’t know about you, but when someone makes me a promise, I want him or her to keep it! If you have kids you have undoubtedly heard you child whine, “But you PROMISED…” A promise is a vow that something will or will not be done.

Now let me tell you the truth, my parents have made me promises. My friends have made me promises. My husband has made me promises. Hey! Even my kids have made me promises. And despite their best efforts sometimes they are able to keep those promises and other times they are not.

But, here is today’s GOOD NEWS. God’s promises never fail! In today’s daily scripture reading, Simeon and Anna behold the promised messiah in the person of baby Jesus. They waited a long, long time to see the one who would bring peace, salvation, light, and glory to all the people of the world.

Unlike Simeon and Anna, we don’t have to wait at all to behold the promises of God revealed in Christ Jesus! They are available to us right now. God has already revealed God’s great love for us. God has already sent Jesus to the cross to reconcile the relationship between us and our Creator. God has already made it clear that in Christ we can access all of the love, joy, hope, and peace we could ever need. When Simeon and Anna beheld the promise of God, scripture teaches that they began to praise God with great rejoicing and to share the GOOD NEWS with others! What will your response be to God’s fulfilled promise in your life?

God on this day may we rejoice that you always keep your promises. Your best promise to us was fulfilled in Jesus Christ who was born, died on the cross, and rose on the third day securing our salvation! This is good news; help us to boldly share it with others. Amen.

*The entire scripture reading for today can be found by clicking the ELCA Daily Bible Reading Tab to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment