Friday, February 26, 2010

DO YOU HAVE A MENTOR?

LENT--DAY 9


SCRIPTURE

Philippians 3:17-20 (NRSV)

Our citizenship is in heaven

Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us. For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

DEVOTION

Today’s scripture reading reminds me of the importance of having a Christian mentor. The dictionary defines the word “mentor” as, “a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.”

For some of us, our first Christian mentors were our parents, grandparents, or godparents. For others, our mentors were Sunday school teachers, missionaries, or pastors. And for some of the rest of us, we may have had a trusted neighbor, friend, or colleague who introduced us to Christ!

It doesn’t really matter who mentors you in the faith, as long as they have a real and true relationship with God through Jesus Christ, read and believe in the veracity of the Bible, pray without ceasing, and show forth their love for God and for others through the gifts of time, talent, and treasure with a joyful heart!

For those of us who were mentored by such individuals, we received a very special gift. Paul says, “join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.”

It is a grand thing to look for--and find--a person willing to walk with you on your Christian journey! Whether you are a baby in Christ just starting out, or an old stalwart of the faith baptized fifty or more years, there is always somebody who can teach us something about walking with Christ!

Today, I pray that each of us would take a look around us and find at least one person that we wish to approach with the request for mentorship. Perhaps you can meet with this person once a month, share your journey, solicit wise counsel, and receive prayer.

I have been exceptionally blessed by those who mentored me as a child and by those who continue to do so now that I am an adult. Even though I am in pastoral ministry and often mentor others, I never neglect to seek my own role models so that I can continue to grow in Christ--from glory to glory! How about you?

Let us pray:

Holy God, thank you for those wise Christians in our lives who have taken the time to mentor us as we walk with you. Please forgive me for those times that I have been unwilling to hear and heed their wise counsel. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I will be receptive to your word, even when it is in the mouths of others. I pray this in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL


ANNOUNCEMENT

During the Lenten Season, all Good News readers are challenged to forward this blog to one person each and every day! Read, share, and BE good news! Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment