Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Muzzle My Mouth, Lord


LENT--DAY 19


SCRIPTURE

Psalm 39 (NRSV)
My hope is in God


I said, "I will guard my ways
that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will keep a muzzle on my mouth
as long as the wicked are in my presence."
I was silent and still;
I held my peace to no avail;
my distress grew worse,
my heart became hot within me.
While I mused, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue:

"Lord, let me know my end,
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting my life is.
You have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight.
Surely everyone stands as a mere breath.
Selah
Surely everyone goes about like a shadow.
Surely for nothing they are in turmoil;
they heap up, and do not know who will gather.

"And now, O Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions.
Do not make me the scorn of the fool.
I am silent; I do not open my mouth,
for it is you who have done it.
Remove your stroke from me;
I am worn down by the blows of your hand.

"You chastise mortals
in punishment for sin,
consuming like a moth what is dear to them;
surely everyone is a mere breath.
Selah

"Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry;
do not hold your peace at my tears.
For I am your passing guest,
an alien, like all my forebears.
Turn your gaze away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart and am no more."


DEVOTION

Today I am struck by the words, "I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will keep a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."

This sounds like wonderful advice from someone who has learned the hard way that our tongues will lead us into all sorts of trouble when we don't control them!

I'm sure that all of us have had the opportunity to learn that it is best to keep silent when angry. I know that I have!

On more than one occassion I have spoken (or emailed) in haste, and wished that I had the ability to take back hurtful words said without the benefit of reflection or prayer. But, alas, the damage is done!

Sin is often connected to the tongue, that is why it is so important to control it! I don't know about you, but my fervent prayer on this day is, "Please muzzle my mouth, Lord!"

During this Lenten Season, let us be careful as we speak. Jesus used his words to help and to heal and so should we!


Let's pray:

God, please forgive me for those times that I have spoken words that are not holy in your sight. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit so that I will use my tongue to proclaim your greatness and share the good news that Jesus saves! I love you and I pledge to share our love with others on this day. I pray in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL


ANNOUNCEMENT

During the Lenten Season, all Good News readers are challenged to forward this blog to one person each and every day! Read, share, and BE good news! Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment