Thursday, March 11, 2010

Do Not Lose Heart

LENT—DAY 20 (half way through the Lenten Season!)


SCRIPTURE

2 Corinthians 4:16-5:5 (NRSV)
Paul comforts with a promise of glory


So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling -- if indeed, when we have taken it off we will not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan under our burden, because we wish not to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.


DEVOTION

Yesterday I spent most of my afternoon visiting the sick and shut in. I had the honor and privilege of entering homes, hospice care, and hospitals to fellowship, pray, and commune God’s people.

I saw many people whose “outer natures were wasting away,” but who had not lost heart!

It is my experience that when people have a personal relationship with God, through Jesus Christ, they can say like a woman I visited in hospice, “I believe that God is a loving and forgiving God and I know that there is an afterlife for me.”

Praise the Lord!

Even though she is experiencing a “slight momentary affliction,” it is “preparing for her an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure.

I live in great anticipation of that great and glorious day when I will see Jesus, face to face. Whilst it will be sad for my family when my body dies, it will be a day of great rejoicing for me, when I enter into my eternal rest.

If you are walking with someone who is making transition from time to eternity, do not despair! Share your faith that God loves us so much that God gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life! Invite them to put all of their hope in Jesus and then commend them into the care of a loving and gracious God who is able to carry us safely home!

Be at peace my friends.


Let us pray:

Good and Gracious God, how I love you! I believe that you gave Jesus to die on the cross to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life. I rejoice that Jesus defeated sin, death, and the grave for me. Because of his resurrection, I am able to live and die in peace. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit, so that I can share the reason for my peace with others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE


If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you are saved! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would let me know about your decision today by clicking "YES" in the poll located in the upper-right hand corner of the good news blog in answer to the question, "Did God save you today?"

Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!


ANNOUNCEMENT

During the Lenten Season, all Good News readers are challenged to forward this blog to one person each and every day! Read, share, and BE good news! Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment