Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No Not One


LENT--DAY 25


SCRIPTURE

Psalm 53 (NRSV)

Restoring our fortunes

Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God."
They are corrupt, they commit abominable acts;
there is no one who does good.

God looks down from heaven on humankind
to see if there are any who are wise,
who seek after God.

They have all fallen away, they are all alike perverse;
there is no one who does good,
no, not one.

Have they no knowledge, those evildoers,
who eat up my people as they eat bread,
and do not call upon God?

There they shall be in great terror,
in terror such as has not been.
For God will scatter the bones of the ungodly;
they will be put to shame, for God has rejected them.

O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion!
When God restores the fortunes of his people,
Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.


DEVOTION

After reading Psalm 53, I am ever so grateful for the grace of God!

The Psalmist states the obvious, "
there is no one who does good, no, not one."

Although this sounds harsh, we know it to be true, for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God! We all miss the mark, failing to love God and neighbor as we should and we all rely on the Amazing Grace of God to avoid our destruction.

During this Lenten Season I give thanks for Jesus who gave His life upon the cross to make atonement for my sin and to gift me with eternal life. Because of this great sacrifice, our fortunes have been restored and we are both joyful and glad!

Today, God is looking for people who are wise enough to seek after God. Will you be such a person today?

If so, please pray with me:

God of grace and God of mercy, please forgive me for those times that I have acted as if you do not exist, doing my own thing and that which was not good. Please fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I will be granted the wisdom to seek after you, as I accomplish your will. I love you and I desire to share our love with others. Please set up divine appointments for me to do so. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL



No comments:

Post a Comment