Sunday, April 25, 2010

I GIVE THEM ETERNAL LIFE


SCRIPTURE

Fourth Sunday of Easter
John 10:22-30 (NRSV)

Jesus promises life to his sheep

At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly." Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one."


DEVOTION

Never have I felt more grateful about the fact that it is Jesus that accomplishes the work of salvation! For if it was up to me, I would fail miserably.

As human beings we often fail to recognize Messiah. We fail to believe in The One whom God has sent. We fail to be thankful for God's good works and we fail to follow Jesus when He calls.

Yet, despite all of our sin and failure, God still calls us. God still keeps us from perishing. God still gives us eternal life. God still holds us in the hollow of God's hand.

It gives me great peace to know--and believe--that "no one can snatch me from God's hand." No matter how strong the storms of life, or how powerful my adversaries, God will hold me safe and secure.

Today, I thank God for Jesus and for His life, death, and resurrection. I thank God that Love made atonement for my sin and my eternal life. I thank God that although I sin and fall short of the glory of God, God is still faithful and just to forgive all of my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness!

This is wonderful good news, my friends, and certainly worth celebrating!


Let's pray:

Good and gracious God thank you for holding me safe in the hollow of your hand. Thank you for keeping me in the midst of every trial and tribulation. Thank you for eternal life. God, I love and I trust you. Please forgive me for those times that I have failed to hear and heed your voice. Won't you please fill me with your Holy Spirit so that so that I can bear witness to the fact that Jesus is one with you? I pray this in His Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment