Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I WILL SPEAK WITH YOU

SCRIPTURE

Ezekiel 1:26 2:1 (NRSV)
Ezekiel's vision of God's glory

And above the dome over their heads there was something like a throne, in appearance like sapphire; and seated above the likeness of a throne was something that seemed like a human form. Upward from what appeared like the loins I saw something like gleaming amber, something that looked like fire enclosed all around; and downward from what looked like the loins I saw something that looked like fire, and there was a splendor all around. Like the bow in a cloud on a rainy day, such was the appearance of the splendor all around. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord.

When I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of someone speaking.

He said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you.


DEVOTION

I am captivated by the words, "O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you."

Isn't it amazing that The All-Glorious One is willing to speak to us at all?

Prayer is such a precious gift! It is a two-way communication with The One who made us, loves us, sustains us, and blesses us, every single day.

Very often, as humans we talk and talk and talk AT GOD; but, we forget to listen!

Today, we are reminded that God also wants to talk with us and that God speaks to us in many ways.

Sometimes God speaks in a still small voice to the quiet of our hearts. Other times God speaks to us through the words found in The Holy Bible. Still other times God speaks to us through the wise counsel of others.


There are many other ways that God speaks. Sometimes we encounter God's voice in nature. At other times we encounter God through dreams or visions. Still other times through signs, wonders, or miracles.

God is ALWAYS speaking; we just need to learn to attune our hearts to hear what is being said.

On this day, let me invite you to take a Bible, go to a quiet spot, and read a while. Then shut the book and think about what you have read. Ask God to speak to you and then listen with all your heart. Perhaps you will want to journal what you think or hear in those quiet moments so that you can reflect upon them in the weeks to come.

God has a word for you today. I pray that you will hear it.

Let us pray:

Holy God, thank you that you are still speaking in 2010. Thank you that one of your loudest proclamations is that "Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again!" Your great love and amazing grace blow me away! Please forgive me for failing to cultivate the quiet needed to hear your voice. I'm listening now. Please speak Lord...


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment