Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Peacemakers...

SCRIPTURE

Judges 4:17-23; 5:24-31a (NRSV)

Jael kills Sisera

Now Sisera had fled away on foot to the tent of Jael wife of Heber the Kenite; for there was peace between King Jabin of Hazor and the clan of Heber the Kenite. Jael came out to meet Sisera, and said to him, "Turn aside, my lord, turn aside to me; have no fear." So he turned aside to her into the tent, and she covered him with a rug. Then he said to her, "Please give me a little water to drink; for I am thirsty." So she opened a skin of milk and gave him a drink and covered him. He said to her, "Stand at the entrance of the tent, and if anybody comes and asks you, 'Is anyone here?' say, 'No.'" But Jael wife of Heber took a tent peg, and took a hammer in her hand, and went softly to him and drove the peg into his temple, until it went down into the ground -- he was lying fast asleep from weariness -- and he died. Then, as Barak came in pursuit of Sisera, Jael went out to meet him, and said to him, "Come, and I will show you the man whom you are seeking." So he went into her tent; and there was Sisera lying dead, with the tent peg in his temple.

So on that day God subdued King Jabin of Canaan before the Israelites. ...

"Most blessed of women be Jael,
the wife of Heber the Kenite,
of tent-dwelling women most blessed.
He asked water and she gave him milk,
she brought him curds in a lordly bowl.
She put her hand to the tent peg
and her right hand to the workmen's mallet;
she struck Sisera a blow,
she crushed his head,
she shattered and pierced his temple.
He sank, he fell,
he lay still at her feet;
at her feet he sank, he fell;
where he sank, there he fell dead.

"Out of the window she peered,
the mother of Sisera gazed through the lattice:
'Why is his chariot so long in coming?
Why tarry the hoofbeats of his chariots?'
Her wisest ladies make answer,
indeed, she answers the question herself:
'Are they not finding and dividing the spoil? --
A girl or two for every man;
spoil of dyed stuffs for Sisera,
spoil of dyed stuffs embroidered,
two pieces of dyed work embroidered for my neck as spoil?'

"So perish all your enemies, O Lord!




DEVOTION

Alleluia! Christ is risen! Christ is risen, indeed! Alleluia!

Ah! Once again I am shocked by the violence, murder, and mayhem of the prescribed scripture just two days after Resurrection Sunday!

I am so glad that I was not of the company of Israel in the days that they had to fight their way across the land in order to acquire God's promise to them.

This side of the cross, God has already fought all of our battles for us! I do not have to find the courage of Lady Jael, for my enemies are not men with swords, but sin, death, and the grave!

Since this is so, I know that I am already victorious because Jesus conquered all these--and more--when he was victoriously resurrected on Easter Morn!

Today, I will simply assume a posture of prayer as I thank our God for doing all that was necessary to secure my "promised land" by dying on the cross and rising on the third day!

Because of Jesus love, grace, and mercy, my sin is forgiven and my eternal life is secure!

Hallelujah and Amen!


Let us pray:

Dear Lord, it is so hard to be a Resurrection person in a Good Friday world for so many still live as if you did not already die and rise again for our sin. The continuing realities of war, violence, and murder in the earth, must grieve your heart. I remember the angels declaring at Jesus' birth "peace on earth and goodwill toward all people," and yet we have yet to fully realize this promise. Lord, I pray on this day that you will hasten your coming! As I wait, please forgive my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I can be a peacemaker everywhere that you send me. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.




INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment