Sunday, May 16, 2010

That They May Be One

SCRIPTURE

Seventh Sunday of Easter
John 17:20-26 (NRSV)

Christ's prayer for his disciples

"I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

"Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."


DEVOTION

Oh! It touches my heart so much that Jesus chose to pray for us in his last hours upon the earth!

Isn't it amazing to read the words, "
I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one"?

Hallelujah!

(Singing) Somebody prayed for me, had me on his mind, took the time to pray for me. I'm so glad he prayed, I'm so glad he prayed, I'm so glad he prayed for me!"

Jesus prayed for us! And his prayer was that we would be united with God and with each other and that Love would rule the day!

This prayer makes me more committed than ever to squash any animosity between myself and another Christian. It makes me more determined to never gossip about a brother or sister in Christ. It makes me more steadfast in my desire to sow the good seed of Love everywhere that I go! And finally, it makes me totally sold out to sharing the good news about Jesus, so that everyone can feel and know His great love for us!

Praise God for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ! Hallelujah and Amen!


Let us pray:

Jesus, thank you for praying for me! Thank you for wanting my life to be filled with unity and love. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I will be faithful to the work of sharing the same with others. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL






No comments:

Post a Comment