Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Better Than Gold...

SCRIPTURE

Proverbs 8:4-21 (NRSV)

Wisdom's riches

"To you, O people, I call,
and my cry is to all that live.
O simple ones, learn prudence;
acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right;
for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to one who understands
and right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold;
for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
I, wisdom, live with prudence,
and I attain knowledge and discretion.
The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
and perverted speech I hate.
I have good advice and sound wisdom;
I have insight, I have strength.
By me kings reign,
and rulers decree what is just;
by me rulers rule,
and nobles, all who govern rightly.
I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me.
Riches and honor are with me,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
and my yield than choice silver.
I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
endowing with wealth those who love me,
and filling their treasuries.


DEVOTION

I has been said that, "Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are the greater fools for it..." (Spurgeon)


I often remind my college students of this fact when it appears that they are under the assumption that it is enough to just know a bunch of stuff.

To this, I reply that we can know a lot of facts, but still do terrible harm to ourselves and others if we do not also possess wisdom.

Proverbs 8 reminds us that it is wisdom that causes us to learn prudence, acquire intelligence, speak nobly, do what is right, speak what is truthful, find knowledge, take instruction, attain riches and honor, and walk in righteousness, justice, and peace!

It seems to me that most of us need a lot more wisdom and today's scripture teaches us that we will only receive it if we fear the Lord, hate what is evil, put away pride, arrogance, perversion, and lies and follow the good advise of the All Wise One.

God teaches us in the gospels that we are commanded to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and love our neighbors as ourselves. We are instructed to repent of our sin and intend to lead a new life, following this commandment of God. And we compelled to put all of our hope, not in ourselves, but in Jesus, upon whom our faith depends from beginning to end.

I am glad that The All Wise One knew that we could not save ourselves. I am glad that God gave Jesus to die on the cross to show forth love, save us from our sin, and gift us with eternal life. And I am so glad that God sent the Holy Spirit into the world after Jesus' ascension into the sky in order to lead us into all wisdom, knowledge, and Truth.

Going to college or university is wonderful and I strongly encourage it. But, you will only garner knowledge in such an environment. If you want to become truly wise, look to GOD. For it is only God who is able to teach us to rightly use our knowledge to become (and act) truly wise.


Let us pray: All Wise One, today I ask for wisdom. It is better than gold and the most valuable of gifts! Please help me to become truly wise. Please help me to use my wisdom to share Christ with those in need of Him. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment