Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Lord is Our Help

SCRIPTURE

Psalm 124 (NRSV)

We have escaped like a bird

If it had not been the Lord who was on our side
- let Israel now say -
if it had not been the Lord who was on our side,
when our enemies attacked us,
then they would have swallowed us up alive,
when their anger was kindled against us;
then the flood would have swept us away,
the torrent would have gone over us;
then over us would have gone
the raging waters.

Blessed be the Lord,
who has not given us
as prey to their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken,
and we have escaped.

Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.


DEVOTION

"Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

Ah! Lately I have been struck by how much we really need the Lord.

This reminder has come to me vividly as I have watched the news on TV and read it on the Internet. As I have grieved earthquakes in Haiti, oil spills in The Gulf, sinkholes in Guatemala, and the recent announcement of the separation of a very public couple, I have been praying constantly--WE NEED THEE LORD!

Tragedy is a part of the human experience. Sadness befalls us all--Babies die, houses foreclose, war erupts, cancer happens, etc...but in the midst of it all, God is always with us.

I recently told a family member going through a terrible trial that I don't know many things, but this one thing I know. When we are suffering God will either lift us out of it, or get down in it with us!

Hallelujah!

God does not leave us, nor forsake us. God does not abandon us to our sin, the sin of others, or the whimsy of the universe. Rather, God walks with us, or carries us when necessary, as we make our way along the path of Life.

I am so glad that God proved God's willingness to get down into our trouble with us when Love gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life.

There is no greater comfort during times of trial and tribulation than to know that God is IMMANUEL (God with us).

Today, won't you stretch out your hand to Jesus? He will help, comfort, and defend you in your darkest hour.

Let us pray: God, help! Hurry to my aid! I am in trouble and I am sinking and I need you now! Thank you that I can trust you to save me! Blessed be Your Name! Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta




No comments:

Post a Comment