Thursday, June 3, 2010

God WILL Catch You!

SCRIPTURE

Acts 22:6-21 (NRSV)

Paul, the persecutor, is healed

"While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' Then he said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you are persecuting.' Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. I asked, 'What am I to do, Lord?' The Lord said to me, 'Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.' Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.

"A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, came to me; and standing beside me, he said, 'Brother Saul, regain your sight!' In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. Then he said, 'The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard. And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.'

"After I had returned to Jerusalem and while I was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance and saw Jesus saying to me, 'Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.' And I said, 'Lord, they themselves know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in you. And while the blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing by, approving and keeping the coats of those who killed him.' Then he said to me, 'Go, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles.'"


DEVOTION

Today I feel the sting of tears in my eyes as I consider the love and grace of God toward us!

It is mind boggling that God would see fit to call, forgive, restore, and send Paul out as an ambassador of the good news message concerning Jesus.

Saul seems like the most unlikely candidate to become one of the greatest evangelists to ever live and yet...we are all still reading his letters and his testimony about Jesus, and his witness is still winning souls for Christ!

Saul's story is a vivid reminder that we can't out sin, out fox, or out run the love of God as it has been revealed to us in Christ Jesus!

No matter who we are, or what mistakes we have made, God stands ready and able to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we will only put all of our trust in Jesus.

Love gave Jesus for the express purpose of dying on the cross to make atonement for our sin and gift us with eternal life.

No longer can anyone one of us say that we are not good enough to be loved by God, forgiven by God, or used by God to share the good news for Saul's story makes those kind of statements bold-faced lies.

Today, I want to invite you to fall into the love and grace of God. No matter what, God will catch you!

Let us pray:

Good and Gracious God, thank you that you love me so much that you are willing to forgive me any offense as soon as I ask with a humble and repentant heart. Please forgive me of my sin--known and unknown--and fill me with the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus is the Christ and that he died on the cross and rose again on the third day to forgive my sin and gift me with eternal life. Today, I put all of my hope in Him. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today you are a Christian! I would be so honored if you would take a moment to let me know that you put all of your hope in Jesus today by clicking YES in the upper right hand corner of this blog in answer to the question, "Did God save you today?"

I also pray that you will tell a Christian friend about your decision, so that s/he can help you find a good Bible believing church to attend where you can be baptized and grow in your faith.

Congratulations! Your salvation is our good news. Please share the good news with someone today!

Go in peace, serve the Lord! (Thanks be to God!)



No comments:

Post a Comment