Friday, June 25, 2010

No One Is Excluded...

SCRIPTURE

Galatians 4:8-20 (NRSV)

Paul reproves the hearers

Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to beings that by nature are not gods. Now, however, that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits? How can you want to be enslaved to them again? You are observing special days, and months, and seasons, and years. I am afraid that my work for you may have been wasted.

Friends, I beg you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You have done me no wrong. You know that it was because of a physical infirmity that I first announced the gospel to you; though my condition put you to the test, you did not scorn or despise me, but welcomed me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. What has become of the goodwill you felt? For I testify that, had it been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? They make much of you, but for no good purpose; they want to exclude you, so that you may make much of them. It is good to be made much of for a good purpose at all times, and not only when I am present with you. My little children, for whom I am again in the pain of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, I wish I were present with you now and could change my tone, for I am perplexed about you.


DEVOTION

It is a sad fact that since the very beginning of Christianity there has been discrimination in Christ's church.

In Paul's day Jewish Christians visited discrimination upon the Gentile Christians. Later in the history of the church Catholic and Protestant brothers and sisters couldn't agree. In present day America European-American (white) and African-American (black) Christians rarely worship in the same church.

I recently read that only about 2% of American churches are multiethnic; racism, sexism, classism, and many other --isms and --phobias are alive and well in the church!

This is a sin against God and against neighbor. Over and over in scripture we are taught to love our neighbors as ourselves, care for the least of these, and invite all people to hear the good news regarding Jesus.

It must make God weep to see God's children fighting amongst ourselves rather than loving one another well so that other people will want to be Christians.

The truth is that there is neither black nor white, rich nor poor, urban nor suburban, first world or third world, male nor female--WE ARE ALL ONE CHRIST.

No one is excluded from the Love of God which gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life. All of us are sinners, saved by the Amazing Grace of God and not one of us has a right to judge or condemn the other!

Today, I want to challenge each of us to share the good news with someone outside of our spheres of influence. Be love and good news (in word and/or deed) to a brother or sister that does not share your race, ethnicity, class, national origin, or some other defining factor.

As we love, we will find that we are all made in the image and likeness of Christ! And thus, we are very good...

Thanks for reading, sharing, and BEing good news today! Peace be with you in Jesus.


Let us pray:

Holy One, thank you that you have made us all in your image and likeness and that you have declared humanity "very good." Please help me to see the goodness in ALL people--those who look and live like me, and those who do not. Please utterly destroy the sins of racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and/or classism in me, and raise me up to a new life in Love. You gave everything on the cross to redeem us; please help me to remember that you did this for ALL PEOPLE. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



No comments:

Post a Comment