Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Don't Mind Waiting...*


SCRIPTURE

Psalm 127 (NRSV)

Unless the Lord builds the house

Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord guards the city,
the guard keeps watch in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives sleep to his beloved.

Sons are indeed a heritage from the Lord,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the sons of one's youth.
Happy is the man who has
his quiver full of them.
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.


DEVOTION

Today I am reminded of the importance of doing all for Christ!

Indeed, it is vanity to work 24/7/365, and have nothing to show for it but a pile of money we can't take with us after we die.

Whilst worldly goods are fine, what is better is a saving relationship with Jesus Christ, who makes all of our work service unto the Kingdom of Love.

We all have hopes, dreams, plans, and goals. But unless the Lord opens the door to our good success, no true good will come of them. We pray, "THY WILL be done on Earth, as it is in heaven..." but all too often we "kick down the doors" of life, instead of waiting for God to open them.

We can be a stubborn bunch! We want, what we want, when we want it! We don't want to wait on God's will. We don't want to wait on God's timing. We don't want to wait period!

So we plow ahead, without prayer, wisdom, or guidance from Spirit and end up in a mess of epic proportions! It is then that we remember to call out to God, seeking rescue. If only we had called out to God, before we set the plans in motion in the first place!

Today's good news is that God has a good plan for our lives not to harm us, but to give us a future and a hope. God wants to give us good things and great relationships with those who love us. It is up to us to trust God and to wait on the manifestation of God's good will for our lives.

Are you willing to wait on Jesus today? If so, please pray with me.

God and gracious God, i don't mind waiting on you to build the "house" of my life. I wait expectantly on you. I know that you have good plans for me and I pray that I will have the wisdom to allow your will to manifest in my life. As I wait, I pray, and as I pray I work, sharing the good news that Jesus lived, died, and rose again because you love us and determined to forgive our sin and gift us with eternal life! I love you and I pledge to share our love with others. I pray this in Your Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta


*This is one of my favorite songs! Juanita Bynum exhorts us 0-5:00; then sings "I Don't Mind Waiting" 5:00-10:00. This will bless your soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment