Thursday, August 5, 2010

Only Love...


SCRIPTURE

Romans 9:1-9 (NRSV)

True descendants of Abraham

I am speaking the truth in Christ - I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by the Holy Spirit - I have
great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

It is not as though the word of God had failed. For not all Israelites truly belong to Israel, and not all of Abraham's children are his true descendants; but "It is through Isaac that descendants shall be named for you." This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as descendants. For this is what the promise said, "About this time I will return and Sarah shall have a son."
For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.



DEVOTION

Today I am reminded of how precious a gift it is to know that our family members have put their hope in Jesus.

When we have loved ones--friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc who have not accepted the unconditional love of Jesus into their lives, we know what they are missing and it makes us sad.

In the letter to the church at Rome, Paul writes that concern for his kin gave him "great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart."

Many of us have felt the same as we've watched loved ones struggle with the reality of God's love, grace, and forgiveness toward them.

We have heard people we care about say that God does not love, want, or forgive them. They truly believe that they are so unworthy that God has cast them aside and relegated them to "hell on earth."

We've also seen dear ones choose to turn their backs on God, sinning purposefully and flagrantly, so angry at God that they are willing to do anything to try "to get back" at him.

Today, I want to invite us to pray without ceasing for these beloved ones. God does love them, more than they could ever hope, dream, or imagine. God will not let them go and there is nothing that they can do to make God stop loving them.

We have been given a heavenly assignment to cooperate with God's good plan for their lives as we love them to the cross and into the arms of Jesus. We have been given a mandate to set a godly and holy example by unconditionally loving them as Christ does and ever will. And we have been given the precious task of being the hands, feet, mouth, and smile of JESUS in their lives until they are willing to let Him into their hearts.

Anger will not drive them into the arms of Jesus. Judgment will not drive them there. Neither will humiliation or abandonment.

ONLY LOVE will cause them to run into the arms of Jesus, ready to put all of their trust in Him.

Won't you love somebody into the arms of Jesus, no matter how long it takes? If so, please pray with me.

Oh God, I care so much about my loved one. Please help him/her to receive your love. Please help me to be a godly example of the good news in his/her life. And please empower me to be steadfast in my devotion to Christ and to my loved one forever more. Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment