Sunday, August 8, 2010

In the Meantime (Between-Time)


SCRIPTURE

Time after Pentecost - Lectionary 19
Luke 12:32-40 (NRSV)

The treasure of the kingdom

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give alms. Make purses for yourselves that do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

"Be dressed for action and have your lamps lit; be like those who are waiting for their master to return from the wedding banquet, so that they may open the door for him as soon as he comes and knocks. Blessed are those slaves whom the master finds alert when he comes; truly I tell you, he will fasten his belt and have them sit down to eat, and he will come and serve them. If he comes during the middle of the night, or near dawn, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves.

"But know this: if the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour."


SCRIPTURE

Today's scripture reminds us of the importance of keeping first things first!

Too many of us pursue worldly wealth at the expense of our relationship with God and our commitment to Kingdom values.

Rather than using our things to love people, we use people to love and acquire more things; I know this grieves the heart of God.

This is why our Master said, "sell your possessions, give alms, and make purses for yourselves that do not wear out."

I love the analogy of making a "purse" out of love, joy, peace, and obedience to God. I also love God's promise to give us an unfailing treasure in heaven.

I don't know about you, but as I look around this earth, I am very glad to know that this is not all that there is. I am so grateful to know--and believe--that God has something even more wonderful in store for me...things I can't even think of or imagine!

This promise makes me generous in my desire to love others. It makes me committed to caring for the least of these. It makes me determined to share the good news about Jesus no matter what the cost.

I do these things not because I have to earn this "unfailing treasure;" after all we know that it is "God's good pleasure to GIVE US the kingdom." Grace and Salvation is free; hallelujah!

But, in response to these free gifts, my heart is full of love for Jesus, so much so that I love to do good deeds in order to make Him smile.

If we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus was coming today at 6:00pm, how would we get ready? What would we do? Who would we evangelize and/or what would we want Him to find us doing?

My friends, we ought to do all these things every day with the same urgency that we would display if we knew exactly when He was coming.

The fact is, no wo/man knows the day or hour that Jesus is coming, so we must live in great expectation--every hour, minute, and second of the day!

It's going to be a grand day when the trumpet sounds, the clouds roll back, and Jesus descends in all His glory, but in the meantime (between-time), let us set our hearts on Christ.

It is up to use to choose to serve ONE Master, our Lord and Savior Jesus, who is the Christ!

Dear ones, money gets spent. Cars, boats, and trucks will rust and fall apart. Clothes and other goods, are eaten by moths or destroyed by the hands of time. It is ONLY our relationship with Christ that will last eternally.

Let us make up our minds to set our priorities in order and to serve the Lord with gladness until He comes again.


Let us pray: Good and gracious God, I love you. I am sorry for attempting to serve you and money/stuff. I ask you to give me a steadfast devotion to loving only you. Please give me a heart to help the poor, ill, and needy. Please help me to always be ready to share all that I have--including the good news that Jesus lived, died, and rose again to save all of us from our sin and gift all of us with eternal life. I am so grateful for your love and pledge to share it with others. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.



INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



No comments:

Post a Comment