Saturday, August 7, 2010

UNEVEN TRADE...(I Want More)


SCRIPTURE

8/7/2010

Matthew 6:19-24 (NRSV)

Treasures and masters

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

"The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

"No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.



UNEVEN TRADE...

Lord, you tell me to be unafraid
to sell all that I have
and to give it to the poor
You're talkin' kinda crazy
Advising me to fill my purse
with love, joy, and peace
You know I can't spend peace
at the mall
How on earth am I going to eat
wear clothes and
go to school?
I'm trying to do good
and better myself
Sure the moths can't eat love
but I can't pay the bills with it either
Can I?
You say to be on guard
You're coming soon
Be ready
Always ready
But, look at the earth
Things are changing...
And I don't want to be the last
to purchase my ticket
as the train pulls out the station
It's hard to be ready
when I have so much to do
It's hard to stay focused on you
when my television tells me Wyclef
is trying to rule Haiti
And the Pakistanis
are learning how Noah felt
It's hard to stay steadfastly devoted
only to you
When so much needs doin' elsewhere
You are offering me an
uneven trade...
Give my all...
for what?
A treasure in heaven
I can't even see
and the promise of
I'm not even sure what
And an empty purse
with NO-thing inside
And a generally good feeling
I cannot eat
I guess I'm confused Lord
Cause I want more...


INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment